Monday, June 21, 2021

High on Fiber

I made a lot of progress on the Kevät sweater this week. Bind-off done, just the sleeves, weaving in and blocking to do.


The sleeves won't take too long. It's mostly just ribbing.

Because the pattern recommended a stretchy bind-off, I used this bind-off method.



Along with that, I decided to warp my loom for some rugs. I had what I thought was plenty of thread for warp, some in cotton and some in linen. Four partial spools had been given to me for free. I figured out how much warp I would need for three rugs and wound the thread, one after the other, onto my warping board.


Oops! I had enough for 180 ends, but I needed 244, so not nearly enough. I think it might be enough for two rugs, though, so I used my ball winder to remove it all from my warping board.


I'm hoping to have enough when I wind it on again, but shorter. This time I know how much I have of each (by weight) without the heavy cardboard spools included. I know I will need to use it all. I plan to use the linen, which should be stronger, on the outside edges and the cotton in the middle. (I get to have that fun all over again.)

I needed a bathing suit for Pippa for an upcoming story. I had bought some little girls' socks to use. (I picked the socks on the bottom row, center, for the first suit.)


I already had the pattern. All I had to do was figure out the new measurements, which I did, and now the pattern is updated. Here's Pippa in her new suit. (The bow in the front wasn't planned. I accidentally sewed the fold-over-elastic to the right side of that little section that goes at the neck in front. It meant when I sewed the other side of the trim down, it left some rather messy-looking extra stitching showing, so...the bow.)


Here's another angle, showing a bit of the back. Although some small sewing projects are difficult to make because of stitching in a confined area, it wasn't any harder to make than the larger size.



You may remember my new curtains in the workroom.


I'm finding it difficult to close them without pulling down the tension rod that holds them up, so I've decided I need a regular curtain rod (which I already have) with tabs to make the curtain longer. I'm working with the color scheme from this quilt my friend Joanie left me. 


The bed quilt we made together is also now in my possession, and it will go on the daybed when we get it set up.

I had used all the curtain fabric I had, but I found this in my stash and think it will coordinate nicely with the quilts. I'll make tabs and use the buttons to embellish where I sew the tabs to the curtain.


We ordered the daybed with trundle, two mattresses for it and a smaller table for the workroom last week. The mattresses have arrived. The 8" top mattress arrived on Wednesday, and we unrolled it and let it expand.


Thursday the 6" trundle mattress arrived. It wasn't quite as heavy, and it took less time to expand. The mattresses both came from Indonesia. As they sucked in the American air after we unrolled them, I could almost hear them say, "Selamat tidur." (Blessed sleep. It's how Indonesians say goodnight when they are off to bed, and not just parting for the night, which would be "Selamat malam.)

The mattress pads arrived the day after we ordered them, and DH picked up the sheets, which I had found at Fred Meyer on sale, when he was there picking up a prescription.


We have some related cuteness this week. Here's our DDIL2 with her Kevät sweater, which she has finished except for one sleeve, weaving in the ends and blocking. She let her niece (one of my honorary grandchildren) try on the sweater.



She's making the full-length version. Mine is the cropped version, although I added an extra pattern repeat, and she added several. I hope to be done in a day or two with mine. 


Where's my blog: As you may know, the entity that notifies people when a blog they follow posts will discontinue notifications in July. This motivated me to link my blog to Bloglovin', as I did some time ago with The Doll's Storybook. If you are following my blog want to continue following after July, I recommend you go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Kevät sweater and the dish mat, with the Brioche Shawl Feathers shawl on hold until I finish the Kevät.

What's on my sewing machine: Tabs for the curtains in workroom.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. No progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Too Big, Too Small. Pippa wonders why she can't borrow clothes from Veronika, if she's willing to let Veronika borrow hers.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to The Rose Code by Kate Quinn. Very intriguing story so far.

What's in my wine glass: Charles Shaw Pinot Grigio from Trader Joe's. It's a bit sweet for every day according to my taste, but a nice change.

What's my tip of the week: I may have mentioned before this little trick for measuring butter. Select a measuring cup twice the size you would need to measure your butter. Fill it half full of cold or room temperature water. Spoon the butter into the water until the level reaches twice the amount of butter you want to measure. Pour off the water. Your butter is measured accurately.

Where's my book: Mariah: Stories from the Doll's Storybook is available from Amazon worldwide. Also available from BookBabyBarnes & Noble and other booksellers. Royalties go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. The three stories in the book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. The stories (and links to them) are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment