Monday, June 7, 2021

Heddles Up!

You may remember from last week's blog post that we moved the loom down to the living room. With the removal of the loom from the workroom, I'm ready to redecorate the space.


I made some simple curtains, so I can block the sun and still find my way around in there. With the room-darkening shades down, as is the case on hot day, it's almost totally dark. This is going to be cozier, too. We expect to have a houseful over the Christmas holidays, so I thought it might be good to get a daybed for this space. The quilt is the one I helped my friend Joanie make for her bed. She left that and the quilt on the wall to me when she passed away. Under it is the wicker hamper that houses almost all my spinning fiber. It should fit nicely in front of the day bed, except when the trundle gets pulled out. It weighs almost nothing, so is easy to move. Now that it's out from under the long folding table in the room, I can get a shorter table, which, I hope, will be the right thickness to attach my ball winder and swift.

We are off camping again! Expect a full report next week.

In the meantime, I've made some progress with the Kivät sweater. I'm finished with Color B. The rest is just texture.


If I get bored with the sweater, I can continue with the Brioche Shawl Feathers shawl. I have the yarn all caked up and ready to go.


I will also take the dish mat, which is still on the needles, because it takes no concentration, so I can work on it while talking to people.

Some of the choir rehearsed in person again Wednesday evening, masked and distanced, accompanied by the rest of the singers online via Zoom. We rehearsed Rutter's "For the Beauty of the Earth" and after the Zoom session ended, the in-person choir recorded it. That will be used to make guide tracks for the other singers to learn and submit their virtual recordings, which of us who participated in-person will also do. We were singing with masks on, so I don't know how clear it will be. I didn't manage to get a photo of the rehearsal, but we came out to this:


The rainbow went all the way over the church and came down on the other side, but I couldn't get it all in the photo. We were all enchanted, though. "For the Beauty of the Earth," indeed!

The loom looks cozy in her new spot.


After we get home from camping, I'm planning to warp the loom and start some rag rugs for the house and then for the trailer using the instructions I found in my eBook copy of Handwoven's Master Weaver Collection Favorite Projects and Lessons from Tom Knisely.


Here's a screenshot of part of a page in the rag rug instructions to give you an idea, only he dyed sheets to use, and I plan to play with my stash, so mine won't be anywhere near this organized. I'm planning to have fringe on each end, too. I plan to aim for 30 X 50" for all three house rugs, so a little bigger than the rugs in these instructions.


It has been a long time since I warped my loom, so I'm going to run through the process by watching that part of the Craftsy class, Floor Loom Weaving. I've been reviewing the process, and will watch each part again as I do it.

We had three days where we had to use our new AC, which was lovely. Wednesday the high was in the 90s! It was so nice not to have to get up at 5:00 AM to open the windows and bring in the cool air to try to get through the day. Friday a low pressure front brought in cooler air. It was the cause of an attack of osteoarthritis pain which continued all day and all night. The only nonnarcotic medication that works for me for this kind of pain is aspirin, which I don't like to take, so I didn't. The heating pad helped some, but by 5:00 AM, I relented and took some aspirin. In 15 minutes the pain let up, and when the medication wore off, it was tolerable and letting up. I was fine the rest of the weekend.

For some cuteness, here's a photo of the pups after they returned from the groomer on Monday.




Where's my blog: As you may know, the entity that notifies people when a blog they follow here posts will discontinue notifications in July. That motivated me to link my blog to Bloglovin', as I did some time ago with The Doll's Storybook. If you are following my blog and want to continue following after July, I recommend you go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Three projects: Kivät sweater, Brioche Shawl Feathers shawl and the lowly dish mat.

What's on my sewing machine: Just finished simple curtains. Nothing new yet.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. No progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: A Conversation with Emil. Pippa has learned that Emil can communicate with animals and wants to know more about it, including whether her bear can talk to him.




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer, about 1/3 finished.

What's in my wine glass: Terra D'Oro Barbera from Amador County. Pretty good!

What's my tip of the week: Easy homemade TV dinners make camping easier. I still have a couple of the lasagne dinners from the last time I made lasagne, and I decided to put together this easy dinner for the next night. It's Quorn faux chicken cutlet on top of a Trader Joe's frozen hash brown potatoes and covered with mushroom sauce. Everything except the sauce was already frozen when I assembled it. I cover with foil, then the piece of cardboard that came with the trays, on which I write what the dinner contains. When we're ready to eat, I cook it in the oven at 300ºF for 40-50 minutes (the longer time for higher elevations). Easy cleanup.




Where's my book: Mariah: Stories from the Doll's Storybook is available from Amazon worldwide. Also available from BookBabyBarnes & Noble and other booksellers. Royalties go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. The three stories in the book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. The stories (and links to them) are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment