Monday, May 10, 2021

Unfinished Business

You have watched me work on the Brioche Shawl Feathers shawl from this pattern by Anna Kyllenen ever since March 24th. This week I lost my game of yarn chicken.


I have 1g left of each color. It takes 2g to go across one row with one color. I have 3 rows to go of the dark color and 2 rows to go of the light. Then there's the bind off. You don't have to use a calculator to do the math required to realize that I don't have enough yarn. I'm trying to get more, but it will probably take several weeks to get it, as it comes from an indie dyer. I'm not worried about dye lots, because there's enough variation in the color across the shawl that it shouldn't be jarring. I think the cost of the shawl just doubled, however, unless they will sell me smaller amounts. Still, I can probably do something with the leftover yarn, such as make a hat to match. Or some socks.

I had to have something on the needles to work on during meetings and church, so I cast on a dress for Pippa. (Shhhhhh! It helps me pay attention better.) The Goetz Doll Lovers group on Ravelry is having a Formal Garden Party KAL (knit along) for any size doll. Actually, it's a "Join Along," because sewn or crocheted outfits are permitted. I'm using the Top Down Trio pattern by Jacqueline Gibb. I've used this pattern once before. It's designed for DK yarn and 3.25mm and 3.75mm needles for a larger doll, but I'm using fingering/4-ply yarn and 1.25mm and 1.5mm needles, so it will be proportioned the same but will be much smaller to fit Pippa.


I started out with one size larger needles, but after a few rows, I realized it was going to be too big, so I frogged it and went down a needle size. The fit is better now.

I don't usually get presents for Mothers' Day, but DH gave me this trio of socks with images of delightful animals and a small bag, which would be a great project bag for small projects or useful for packing small items (like socks) for travel. They are all from the World Wildlife Fund.


Our older son texted me Sunday morning to say I have something coming from him. It was supposed to come Saturday, but got delayed. I have no idea what it is, but I'm touched. I had greetings from all three of my children for Mothers' Day!

Rocky's stroller came on Tuesday. We put it together and tried it out the next day. DH wanted to see if it would go over rocks, so we had to off-road it. Rocky was a good sport. We used to have a car seat for him, and I think this was similar enough that he wasn't anxious. It went over the rocks OK, but I think Rocky enjoyed the ride more on the graded trail or going around the block on the sidewalk.


We take Rocky out of the stroller a couple of times each trip, so he can walk on his own for a bit knowing he isn't going to have to walk the whole way. I don't take him out if we're just going around the block without DH. Rocky seems to enjoy it the most when we're moving along quickly. He looks around and seems to be smiling.

We went to the dog park before the stroller came to make up for missing the activity on Dusty's birthday when it rained. Rocky enjoys walking around and checking out the other people and dogs, but when he's had enough, he goes to the gate. I'm hoping he'll feel comfortable enough in the stroller that he will lie down in it and relax when he's had enough activity.



The AeroGarden lettuce has turned into a tree. It's the variety. I pick a few leaves for each salad and add it to the lettuce from the store. It's great in sandwiches, too.



When DH said he had a lettuce tree, I thought he was producing another kind of "lettuce."

We will be having visitors! Our son and DIL who live a few hours away will be coming over Memorial Day weekend, as long as no one is sick. Both parents are fully vaccinated now, and the boys, who are too young to be vaccinated yet, have been back in school with protocols in place for some time with no illnesses. We haven't seen them for more than a year.

The end of August, our daughter will fly here for a visit. Our son-in-law is going to visit his parents in June, and she will stay home with the kids, who also aren't old enough to be vaccinated. He'll babysit the kids when she comes here. 

We may get both families for Christmas. I'm hoping so.

What's on my needles: The Brioche Shawl Feathers Shawl is in hibernation until I get more yarn. Pippa's dress from the Top Down Trio pattern is coming along.

What's on my sewing machine: Costumes for an upcoming photo shoot.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. I didn't get anything done on it this week..

What's in The Doll's Storybook: This week's story in The Doll's Storybook was Fasting and feeding. Pippa learns why Mariah hasn't been eating lunch with the other dolls and helps her put together a packet of food for someone in need.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to Hope for the Best by Jodi Taylor. Laugh-out-loud funny in places.

What's in my wine glass: Montevina Cabernet Sauvignon 2017. One of our favorites.

What's my tip of the week: When we were training Rocky, we used a hand command as well as a voice command and always used them together. After he learned the command, we would use one or both, depending on what was easier, but he always knew what they meant. He started to lose his hearing before his vision as he got older, so it was especially useful. He still hears out of one ear, and I don't know how much he sees, but we don't really have to give him commands anymore. He can't see the ball if it's very far away and the light is bad, but he still likes to go after it. We're glad he's had a good life and hope we'll still have more time with him. If we get another puppy, we will do the same thing.

Where's my book: Mariah: Stories from the Doll's Storybook is available from Amazon worldwide. Also available from BookBabyBarnes & Noble and other booksellers. Royalties go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. The three stories in the book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. The stories (and links to them) are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

3 comments:

  1. Peggy, I found you on this platform -- thanks for posting it. QWU will shut down on Monday, so you're just in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad, too, "Unknown!" I can't figure out how to comment here has myself. Every time I sign in to my account, it takes me back to editing. Maybe I'll figure it out, now that I'm only posting here and not both places. ––Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. It just doesn't show who I am until I hit "Publish!" Duh!

    ReplyDelete