Monday, November 2, 2020

Written and Printed...But Will It Sell?

It was very exciting when the books arrived. I was phone banking for Reclaim Our Vote when they arrived in two boxes that were hard to lift. This is only about half of them. 

I was very nervous when I looked through one copy, but everything seemed to be OK. Then I went to Amazon to check the listing. Here it is. I took a screen shot. The release date is December 1st, which is when my St. Jude fundraising page starts.




I decided to keep it under $15. All the the royalties will go to St. Jude. I'm looking into setting up a nonprofit now, so I don't get taxed on money I'm not keeping.

Other than that, I mostly spent the week phone banking to get people to vote and making a few things for Pippa so I could provide my current patterns in a size to fit these dolls. I tested my "Pippa's Wonderland Turtle" turtleneck sweater by making her one in another color.



I hadn't taken photos of the construction process for the pajamas, so I made a blouse using the same pattern, only opening in the back instead of the front, and took photos of the construction. Then I reworked my pleated skirt pattern. It's a little more difficult sewing on this smaller scale. 


I have no idea how people make Barbie clothes. I usually sew the underarm sleeve seams before hemming the sleeve, but I did it the other way around for this project. You could probably do it, but I was afraid I would mess it up, and I wanted to finish quickly.

Now I'm making a nightcap for Pippa so I can have a knitted item to go with the pajama pattern. That will allow me to make it available on Ravelry. I'll have to figure out something to go with the skirt and blouse pattern.

I'm still trying to find things that fit this doll. She's close to the size of a Wellie Wisher, but taller and a bit bigger around, so buying things made for those dolls and hoping they will fit this one is rather hit-and-miss. I ordered the pastel T-shirts from Emily Rose through Amazon, and the fit isn't bad. It's a little snug, but it looks as if it's supposed to be that way, and the Velcro is completely overlapped in the back.


The church choir continues to have Wednesday night rehearsals, but through Zoom.


We can't sing all together this way, but we can practice with all of us muted. The problem with having us all sing unmuted is, there are variations in the speed with which the sound gets transmitted, so we're all off tempo from each other. We are working on some virtual performances, though.

Of course, the stories continue to come to me. My little muses talk to me. I don't really hear them, but I know what they want me to write, if that makes sense.


What's on my needles: Just CO for a nightcap for Pippa.

What's on my sewing machine: More clothes for Pippa.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. In spite of everything, I made a little progress this week. 

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Saying It Right. The boys have a friend at school who stutters.




What's on my iPad/iPhone: I've still just been listening to music.

What's in my wine glass: El Tinto from Madroña Vineyards. This is a red blend, and every vintage is different, but it's always a favorite.

What's my tip of the week: If you haven't voted yet, here's some info. If you see anything that concerns you, go to https://seesay2020.com and click on whatever the issue is. If you have a problem voting, you can call 888/730-5816. If you have a mail-in ballot you haven't sent yet, don't mail it. It's too late. Find a drop box or take it to your county's elections office. You should be able to vote in person if you 1) never received your absentee ballot, 2) received it but never mailed it or 3) mailed it, but tracking indicates it hasn't been received. How this is handled depends on your state, but you should explain the issue, and they will help you. Take your ballot with you if you have it. They may have you surrender it and then you will be allowed to vote. If not, they may give you a provisional ballot. If your original ballot turns up, only one will be counted. If you find you have a problem getting to the polls, call the office of the party you are registered with and ask them for help. They may have a volunteer who can pick you up and then come back and get you after you vote. Here's what you need (it's like that bag you packed when you expected to go to the hospital to give birth): A mask, water, snacks or a meal, maybe a folding chair and (in some states) a photo ID. Collectively we make better decisions. When we all vote, things can get better.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment