Monday, October 7, 2019

Small Creatures, Living and Make-believe

My "Sunshine in the Rain" shawlette is all done except for the blocking. 


I thought I would get it blocked in time to wear on Sunday, but things got in the way. I'll try to get it done this week.

Monday we had our first real snow of the season. As expected, though, it didn't stick long. 


The leaves are changing, though, and they're very pretty.

We had the annual blessing of the animals yesterday to celebrate the feast day of St. Francis. Rocky knew what it was all about, but Dusty just wanted to meet the other dogs or, as an alternative, come up and sit with me in the choir. Many of the dogs lifted their voices in song along with the congregation when we sang, "All Things Bright and Beautiful." The lady in the wheel chair is holding a lizard. He is a bearded dragon. She had him in a costume with dragon wings and a leprechaun hat. As far as I know, he did not sing along. We also had a fish. I don't think the fish sang, either.


My new character, Emil, was introduced in Friday's story, "Welcome, Emil!" In it, Emil comes to live with the cast of The Doll's Storybook. He comes with vision and hearing problems, but the other dolls do their best to make it easy for him to settle in.


I managed to gt two more T-shirts decorated with iron-on transfers. I used free graphics for Emil's skateboard design, and the "Forget Princess, call me Your Honor" design is from Free To Be Kids Shop on Etsy and is used with their kind permission. (They have T-shirts with the design available for people, but not for dolls.) I purchased the T-shirts for the dolls on Amazon. They are designed for 18" dolls, but fit the slightly taller dolls I use just fine.


Mandy's cat came with Emil from My Doll Best Friend in the UK and will make his appearance in next Friday's story.

If you're new to my blog, the dolls are from Götz, a German company, but they are manufactured (like pretty much all dolls these days) in China. Some of the dolls are available here, but a wider selection can be found internationally.

My friend Cheryl has a son serving in the military in Africa. He and his comrades will not be home for Christmas, so she is soliciting hand-knitted washcloths (and other knitted items) to send to them. Message her on Ravelry here if you have something you want to send her. The deadline is early November, so get cracking.

Our Daphne is raising money for Girl Scouts. If you don't have a scout of your own to support, feel free to purchase something here and use her as your scout: Daphne H., Troop 7074. They have an option of magazine gift cards to donate to members of the military and their families, so you can help our troops at the same time as helping the Girl Scouts.


What's on my needles: Washcloth for Cheryl's effort.

What's on my sewing machine: Jacket for Emil.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Welcome, Emil! Emil comes and settles in with his new family.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still A Scandal in Battersea by Mercedes Lackey, not much time to listen this week.

What's in my wine glass: Montevina Skyland Ridge Barbera 2016. Excellent!

What's my tip of the week: Do you have some old pillows that have seen better days? They can be repurposed as great throw pillows (who can't use more of those?) by covering with upholstery fabric or a quilted cover. Just cut a rectangle the size that will cover both sides of the pillow plus enough for a seam allowance. Right sides together, sew up two sides, turn right-side out, put the pillow inside and sew the open end shut. (You can do something fancier, if you want, but you don't need to.) If you need a spare pillow for a guest, you can always put a pillowcase over your decorative pillow.



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment