Monday, April 16, 2018

Winter Keeps Coming...and Coming

Made it to Vintage Stitchers on Thursday, in spite of our blizzard.

Barbara had made this block using English Paper Piecing. It isn't a hard block to make with regular seaming, but she wanted to learn the technique.

She also had a top finished, using some puzzle piece blocks.


Carol had some of the same blocks in this quilt top, already quilted. She was working on the binding.


Why does it always snow on Thursday and Sunday? My trip to Salt Lake City for Vintage Stitchers was slow because of the snow, sleet and wind. On the way down, I saw a car off the road with highway patrol vehicles assisting, on westbound and then on the eastbound sides. I was glad I still had the snow tires on. I took this photo on Friday.


The snow coming off the roof meant the pups couldn't go out in the back. It's too dangerous. It's a two-story drop when the snow falls off.

The week was otherwise filled with sorting through belongings, making decisions about what to keep, give away or throw out, and packing stuff in boxes. While down in Salt Lake City, I picked up 15 book boxes and dropped off more donations.

I did have some fun, though. One of my Ravelry groups has started trying to reverse engineer a pattern for this doll dress found on a Russian website by way of Pinterest. The doll wearing it is a Götz Hannah, a doll slightly larger in the waist than the Happy Kidz/Classic Kidz dolls I've been dressing lately.

One of the participants wanted to try it using DK, which is a thicker yarn, although I think the original was knit with fingering/4-ply. It turned out cute.



It's hard to see the tulle petticoat underneath. I only have tulle in white and yellow, so mine will have to be white.

The bodice turned out a little big, so I'm making modifications to the design, but I'll finish this one.


I'm working on the skirt now, worked in the round, with panels of increasing stitches. This photo was about halfway, vertically. I should be able to post a photo next week.


I got some knitting done in the car on the way to the opera on Saturday. We were seeing Falstaff at Lyrical Opera Theater. Several cast members sing with our choir on special occasions or regularly on Sundays.



This was the best production they have done yet, and lots of fun.

For some added cuteness, someone posted a photo in the Facebook Götz group of a doll holding a small Pooh bear. Vroni says, "My Pooh is bigger."


At least something of Vroni's is bigger.

What's on my needles: Besides the Russian Dress, still the Coastal Skies, a little more progress made.

What's on my Featherweight: Still waiting.

What's in my hoop: Still the Spring Flowers quilt, but closing in on finishing.

What's on my wheel: Stanzi is waiting for Tour de Fleece. 

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to The Whispering Room by Dean Koontz. Then listened to Refining Felicity by M. C. Beaton, not a long book, but fun. I'm not sure if I want to start another one yet. I have a book preordered that will be out tomorrow.

What's in my wine glass: Trader Joe's Coastal Zinfandel, nice with Mexican food.

What's my tip of the week: Not sure how much salad to make? Hate having to eat salad the next day that has been marinating in dressing? Tear up the lettuce and put it in a bowl that has a lid. Cut up the vegetables you want to add to it and let family members help themselves to however much lettuce they want and add their own dressing. Torn-up lettuce will stay crisp and nice for several days in the fridge without the dressing.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment