Monday, August 14, 2017

Revisiting the Sweat Shop

Rebecca is at it again.



Vintage Stitchers met at Janet's on Thursday, and Rebecca had this pillow for show-and-tell. She colored the image with crayons, and then heat-set the image. Finally, she embroidered it. She found the image here.


Rebecca and Brenda are also working on a free design from Crabapple Hill Studio using the same technique. 


Rebecca said she will teach us how to do this process. It should be interesting.

Carol had made this baby quilt:


The back is almost as interesting.


Marilyn was finishing up this interesting quilt.



This was the back, a good use for the large bird print.



Barbara had this one to show from Jelly Roll Jambalaya Quilts by Jean Ann Wright. It's a nice break from the 1600 quilts she has made.



I love the fabric she used for the border and the backing.



The knitters were busy, too. Diane had brought this shawl for show-and-tell.



...and Janet was working on this shawl, a mystery KAL with a designer she likes.




She picked from her stash of Knit Picks Palette for this project. Janet was also finishing this  cross-stitch to commemorate her anniversary. She's almost done, or at least coming down the home stretch.


The Habitat for Humanity sweat shop was busy. Dolly is standing in for the Habitat girl, but Carter is wearing his own overalls. The Habitat kids will wear overalls to the Overall Ball September 22nd where they will be part of a silent auction, along with their wardrobes. The overalls pattern was The Oh My Gosh Overalls pattern by QTPie from Pixie Faire.


I love the detailing on the overalls, and the pattern design and instructions made it fairly easy to do. Here's the back.


There is a loop to hold a hammer (right below Carter's thumb).


On the other side, there's a special pocket for a screwdriver.


I also made Carter a surfing outfit: trunks and a shirt.


We don't do a lot of surfing here in the mountains of Utah, but he can pretend, and his hat, the Summer Camp Bucket Hat by Matilda's Closet, also from Pixie Faire, can be used for any outdoor activity, like hiking.


Carter still needs a couple more shirts and more pants, so I'm not done yet. Until I get the Habitat girl, I don't know which outfits she'll be taking from my growing girl collection. I'll need to try them on and see which ones to add to the wardrobe of donated knitted and sewn clothes. I added a few items to the assortment last week, though. I finished the green (Palette "Macaw") French Back-to-school Cardigan, modeled here by Vroni.


I also made two new dresses. Here are Mandy and Vroni modeling them for us.


The pattern is Simplicity 1484 (with easy modifications) for both. I'm making another Gracie Cardigan in Palette "Cyan" to go with the dress Mandy is wearing.

You might notice Mandy's new reading glasses. They're from American Girl.


The house exterior has a new coat of paint and the portico has fresh stain. We paid a neighbor, who is a house painter, to do those jobs. DH painted the mailbox. We're going through our "stuff" to see what we can dispose of. MS is coming to pick up on Saturday. 

Dusty had his annual checkup and shots on Wednesday. We've been busy, but somehow we managed to find time to hike with the doggies. I had just finished taking this photo when DH threw the toy and hit me in the face. (An accident, he says.)


That's what I get for looking at the photo I just took.

Retraction: I misunderstood about Johan's time in the cockpit during the family's return flight. It was while the plane was on the ground. Everyone can relax now.


What's on my needles: The Gracie Cardigan in Palette "Cyan" for Mandy.

What's on my Featherweight: Still clothes for the Habitat for Humanity dolls.

What's on my loom: Still waiting.

What's on my wheel: Stanzi has been busy with the Woodland Woolworks, Carlton, OR. Merino Combed Top Multicolor, 4 oz, Mojave Heather. I should have something to show next week. 

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to Dark Witch by Nora Roberts. Then listened to Lord Grenville’s Choice by G. G. Vandagriff. Now listening to another Rachel Abbot mystery, Stranger Child. On the Kindle app, still reading Undeniable by Laura Stapleton.

What's in my wine glass: Corbett Canyon Merlot in the big bottle. Very nice, good value. I must tip the wine steward. (As soon as he stops throwing things.)

What's my tip of the week: If you have one of those magnetic pin dishes, you can use it to find pins and needles you drop on the floor. Just empty it, turn it upside down and wave it over the area where you think you might have dropped the pin or needle. As an alternative, I often wait until DH walks through in bare feet. He always finds them.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment