Monday, August 14, 2017

Continental-style Knitting, How I Do It

Someone was asking me about Continental (picking) vs English (throwing) styles, wanting to learn Continental. I thought it might be good to post these photos of how I do it. (Keep in mind that there are as many ways to hold/tension the yarn in the left hand as there are knitters who "pick.")

I wrap the yarn around my left hand this way:



Then I give a slight tug to the end coming out from my hand and leading to my yarn supply.



Now I'm ready to knit. Using the right needle, I reach through the stitch and grap the yarn between the stitch and my forefinger.



When I have the yarn, I pull it through and off the needle.



Purling is a little awkward until you get used to it. First you have to move the yarn to the front of your work, easily accomplished with just a movement of the needle tips.



Then you reach through the stitch from behind.



With the working yarn above the needle, bring the needle tip up and over the yarn...


 ...and then through the stitch.



Then pull the stitch off the needle.



Just as knitting English style took practice when you first learned, Continental-style knitting takes time.

How about the rest of you Continental knitters? How do you hold and tension the yarn?


No comments:

Post a Comment