Monday, September 7, 2015

Love's Labors Found

This week Common Threads met at Janet's. She asked us to bring suggestions for gifts to make for neighbors or friends. Julie brought this book, Gifts from the Kitchen by Debbie G. Harman. It includes a CD with tags you can print out.

It's full of cookie recipes and other gifts suitable for neighbors, such as bean soup mix in a jar, which Karan also recommended. She made a bunch of these, with the jars all lines up on the counter. She said she felt like a chemist. Janet was making lace lid covers like this.

I brought the pattern for the scrubbie I like to crochet out of nylon net, nicely paired with a knitted washcloth.


We also had show-and-tell. Bernadette brought us this finished crocheted alphabet baby blanket.


Janet had finished another pair of convertible mitts.


Carol was working on this great embroidered chicken for a quilt wall hanging.

My Pink Monkey Socks are finished. Here they are on the blockers:


And on my feet:


They were a fun project. The pattern was Cookie A's Monkey Socks. The yarn is Knit Picks Stroll fingering yarn in "Dogwood Heather."

We had a great hike with the pups on Rocky's birthday, and I took them on another hike on Friday, because DH wanted to take the car to get the oil changed instead of going to Silver Sneakers. 

Happy Labor Day! Hope you can spend it doing something you like.

What's on my needles: Fair Isle Flower Socks. Still hoping to CO the March of the Fiber Animals Cardigan soon for DH. 

What's on my Featherweight: First Ladies Quilt. Still.

What's on my wheel: Languishing, but I have some yummy spinning fiber to inspire me.

What's on my loom: Multi-scrap scarf, no progress since before the trip.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: I gave up on Mercedes Lackey's Blood Red and returned it to Audible. The narrator was butchering the German language on the few words she needed for almost every other sentence. In its place, I downloaded her Steadfast, which was excellent. The main characters in Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters series are almost always repressed by other characters in some way, but this was the first one about an abused wife. Fascinating. Just started Jodi Taylor's A Trail Through Time, the next in the "Chronicles of St. Mary's" series, funny, full of adventure, all about historians who time travel. Finished Restless Hearts by Mona Ingram on the Kindle app. It was excellent, too, about a young woman who must survive in San Francisco's early days. Just started Mistaken Kiss by Kathleen Baldwin, also on the Kindle app. Good so far. (I plan to get Blood Red from the library. I think it will be a good read without the narrator.)

What's in my wine glass: Charles Shaw Shiraz (aka "Two-buck Chuck" or "Three-buck Chuck," depending on where you buy it, because it's produced in California, and shipping costs to locations outside the state affect the price), one of our all-time favorites.

What's my tip of the week: When I have a series of regular decreases on a knitting project that are supposed to end with a given number of stitches, I put a stitch marker right where I'm supposed to stop, so I don't have to keep counting sts. When I get to the last stitch (or a few sts before, if there's a vertical row or two of sts before it that are included in the final st count), I have to move the marker, but by then it's easy to keep track.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment