Monday, August 17, 2015

Another Week at Home

Quilters! Finally, I have some quilts to show you. But first a little food.


Vintage Stitchers met at Janet's on Thursday. Marilyn brought this embroidered Christmas quilt center to show us. Now to put the borders on.


Barbara showed us this great train quilt for a little boy.


The back even looks like a train track.





Janet's daughter made her this great art quilt.


The back is interesting, too. We couldn't decide whether the quilting is a pantograph or free-form.


Remember this Circle of Hope quilt of Marilyn's? It's finished.


Some of us have been knitting, as well. Janet made these great convertible mittens.


Speaking of knitting, my Coral Reef Shawl is finished.


I dyed this yarn (Knit Picks Shadow Lace Weight in "Bare") with 2 pkg each Orange and Cherry Kool-Aid and five drops of black food coloring using the sun-tea method. I left the hank in the dye bath without turning or stirring it until the dye was exhausted. Because it wasn't stirred, the yarn ended up with variations in how much dye was taken up.

The pattern is Enzian by Sue Berg. The instructions are minimal. I redrew the chart, because I had difficulty with the right- and left-slanting triangles for K2tog and SSK. I knit 11 vertical repeats of the pattern before doing the border. I couldn’t figure out how and where to start the border pattern, but I went through all the Enzian projects (and there are many) on Ravelry until I came across "Cupani," who mentioned in her project notes that the border pattern starts at row 43 of the regular pattern. It also helps to know that the border is a substitution for part of the pattern, not a whole new one.


I didn’t do the crochet edging to finish it off, but instead, BO on the wrong side in K, holding the yarn double. I ended up needing slightly more than the 100 g ball of yarn, but I had extra left over from another project, which I had dyed at the same time. Ten repeats of the pattern could have been knit with plenty of yarn left for the border and BO.

This seems to be the summer of the shawls. I decided to CO the Washington Park Shawl, since I had the pattern and the yarn. Why not?



The Pink Monkey Socks are coming along:



My First Ladies Quilt class ran into difficulties. I had cut all my fabric for the blocks, but forgot to put them into my bag. When when I got to the store, there was a large group of people having a class that started late. I talked for a few minutes with the teacher about the Lincoln block, and we decided I would have no trouble finishing the blocks on my own. Watch for photos of them next week.

Just the appliqué blocks to go!

In other news, my crocheted Busy Bee Throw is moving along as well. Forty-two hexagons finished out of 136 needed. Very portable project that fits in my purse.

As you read this, we are camping in the Uinta Mountains, just a few miles east of where we live. I hope to have some lovely photos of scenic views and hikes with the pups for next week...along with the usual fibery goodness.

What's on my needles: Pink Monkey Socks, Washington Park Shawl, Fair Isle Flower Socks.

What's on my Featherweight: First Ladies Quilt

What's on my wheel: Languishing.

What's on my loom: Multi-scrap scarf, no progress since before the trip to Europe.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Julie Klassen's The Maid of Fairbourne Hall. Now listening to The Headmistress of Rosemere by Sarah E. Ladd, both from Audible. Reading James Patterson's Private in iBooks.

What's in my wine glass: Copper Ridge Merlot, the big bottle. Very nice.

What's my tip of the week: The family dog is more than willing to prerinse your dishes before they go into the dishwasher. (Just don't forget this last step.)


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment