Monday, January 19, 2015

Out and About

Common Threads met at Wasatch & Wool on Thursday.

It was inspiring, sitting with our knitting while surrounded by lovely yarns of all types. Margaux provided us with some delicious munchies.

Lynda wore the hat she just finished:


I wore my Sandy Beach Scarf, which took one skein of Manos del Uruguay Lace alpaca, silk and cashmere. (Yum!)


I finished my hat during the meeting. The yarn is Manos del Uruguay Maxima, 100% merino.


Then I swatched for my new cardigan, using the yarn I bought on my birthday. I'm calling it Brick because of the color. Here's the project page. The ladies at Common Threads helped me decide which pattern to use. This is the one I'm using.

I cut the bottom ribbing in half, because I'm so short-waisted, and I'm using a tighter gauge to get a size that will fit me the way I like.


My other choice of pattern was thisI probably will use Andes Del Campo for this second pattern. I have enough in "Brass Heather" to make it. Here's the project page for that, although I haven't started it yet.

I'm making good progress on the cardigan, now that I've settled on the pattern:


In the meantime, quilters, I'm playing around with these fabrics:


I'm starting to have more energy again, so I should be back to quilting soon. (I find quilting to take more energy than knitting.)

What's on my needles: Sandy Beach Scarf finished, then Wasatch Cap done. Now working on my Brick Cardigan.

What's on my Featherweight: Still put away in its case, but calling to me. ("Let me out! I want to play....")

What's on my loom: Some warp for another scarf, but still folded up.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Listening to The President's Pilot by Robert Gandt, a recent Daily Deal from Audible. Also reading And Only To Deceive by Tasha Alexander, not on the iPad for once but a paperback version I picked up at a rummage sale.

What's my app of the week: Sundance 2015, which should come in handy this week as I help patrons of the Sundance Film Festival get information and wait-list tickets.

What's in my wine glass: Big House Cardinal Zin Zinfandel 2012, 3 L Premium Wine Cask (basically a octagon box). Shockingly good!

What's my tip of the week: When piecing pieced strips, run them through the sewing machine with the seam allowance of the top strip toward the presser foot, if possible, so the seam will nest automatically.


If one side is bigger than the other, though, put the bigger side on the bottom, so the feed dogs will grab it and ease it in. (In the photo, you can see my little stack of sticky notes that guide the fabric through to the needle to give me that 1/4" seam allowance I need.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment