Monday, August 25, 2014

UFO-a-go-go.

I had several irons in the fire this week, but the big news is, I'm coming down the home stretch on my Delectable Pathways quilt.
I got the top pretty much put together yesterday. I still have some appliqué to do on leaves that cross over seams. There are also two seams to sew, left open to make  appliqué and embroidery easier, but otherwise, it's done. This was a major UFO for me, started seven years ago. I should call it "Peggy's Sistine Chapel."
I'm going to allow myself to piece one new quilt before tackling the next UFO, and I still have to piece the Habitat House Quilt in early September. However, Julie is going to quilt it and Janet has agreed to put on the binding.
We had an amazing turnout at Common Threads (12 people!) Julie brought along a couple of quilts she's finishing. Here's her comfy cabin quilt:
With  Minky on the back:
She also brought a batik quilt:
Also with Minky on he back:
Pru (Tigermum), a friend of mine from the Tudor Roses KAL group and Starmore Junkies on Ravelry, is in Park City part time. She came to Common Threads and brought her Katherine of Aragon sweater (in progress) for us to see. 
It's really interesting to see in person, partly because she used the yarn called for in the pattern, and she has so much of it done. Here is Pru's Katherine of Aragon sweater:

She also brought some socks she had made and wore another Starmore project. We have a lot of knitters in Common Threads, so it was great she could come and bring along her great projects.
In other quilting news, the Park City Quilt Guild met last week. We had a great show-and-tell.
We saw this great baby quilt:
And this fantastic paper-pieced quilt:
One of our members made this book for a child, including chalk, in a zippered pocket, and a chalk "board."
We saw this great quilt:
One member had made a quilt for her mother, using some blocks her mother pieced before she had to stop quilting due to macular degeneration. The quilter had family members make personalized patches to put in the quilt.
Another quilter had some children help make this quilt. She explained to them the meaning of the log cabin block and how colors were used in early quilts of this type to represent the fireplace and the warmth or light from it.
Some of us visited Joanie on Friday. She had finished her vest.
She is recovering from a major procedure, and is doing well.
I made my second nylon scrubber out of nylon net while I was there.

These are not only handy in the dishpan, but also for cleaning up your cutting mat.
This week Sunny and I completed our recertification process with Therapy Animals of Utah (TAU) and Pet Partner. Our first job was to go to a BBQ put on by another organization, and give a presentation about TAU, during which I explained what we do and talked about some of our experiences with clients, and Sunny did her thing, providing "therapy" to people who seemed healthy and well off. You never know, however. The organization decided to give us a donation.
Baby Johan has been growing. He's still pretty much a night owl, though. Photos of him taken during the day are pretty much with his eyes shut. However, this shows how much he has grown, if you compare with the photos of him in his car seat when he left the hospital. Amazing.
Zachary got his first haircut. Daddy provided the labor, and Mommy cried. Believe it or not, this is after the haircut:
What's on my needles: Still Cat Bordhi's "Bavarian Twisted Stitch" socks from her book, Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles, but I'm calling them the Johan Socks. 
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Blue Sapphire by D. E. Stephenson from Audible, which was the first one of her books I read years ago. It led me to read as many of her books as I could get my hands on. Now I'm listening to The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness, also from Audible. Still reading Joseph Lallo's The Book of Deacon from Book Bub.
What's my app of the week: I've been getting a lot of use out of my iPhone calculator. I love that I can just whip it out, the way I do my iPhone camera. It comes in handy when calculating my knitting gauge or when cutting fabric for a quilt.
What's in my wine glass: Apothic Red winemaker's blend 2012. DH thinks it's too sweet, but I don't find it sweet at all, and I don't like sweet wines. We found this at Fred Meyer in Oregon, picked up by chance. I went back and got more. My friend Rob says it's more expensive in Utah, but I may have to splurge anyway.
What's my tip of the week: If you're piecing Delectable Mountain blocks, and you know you are going to have to press the seam that has the points under, give the points a wide berth. An extra thread or two will do. The points will tend to bend into the seam otherwise.
Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment