Monday, June 16, 2014

Fiber Obsessed

The Mary Tudor is coming along.
The first sleeve is finished. I think the sleeve might be too long, but I can't tell until I block it and sew it in. Even though I started at the cuff, it's easy to lengthen or shorten a sleeve. I'll take out one round about where I want to start the cuff by cutting the yarn in on place and pulling it out as I put the sts on needles. Then just work the cuff from that point down. I have a few inches of the second sleeve done.
BS2's baby quilt horse appliqué has an embroidered eye. The quilt has gone off to the quilter. I'll post photos when it comes back.
I showed it off at Vintage Stitchers on Thursday. Some of the fabrics came from some distributer samples Barbara handed out. I used one fabric line as a focus for choosing the other fabrics. All the other fabrics except the background came from my stash. The background (and backing) came from Davidene's Quilt Shop, our wonderful little local quilt shop. The blocks were from "Twin Stars" from Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott.
We met at Barbara's in Salt Lake City. It's great visiting Barbara any time, but in the summer her yard is especially lovely.
Carol was putting the binding on this neat quilt she recently finished:
Barbara had given her the main fabric for the backing. Now she's sorry she parted with it.
Barbara showed us this great quilt top with curved piecing, Kaffe Fassett fabrics and a great light-grey textured fabric background.
Marilyn had this neat finger light:
We all wanted at least one, so we put together an order.
Joanie and I went out to lunch after the meeting, before heading back to Park City.
Friday, DH, the pups and I took advantage of the lovely, cool weather to hike with the pups on the trails above our neighborhood.
Saturday was World Wide Knit in Public Day, so, of course, I planned to knit in public. It was cold and windy, though, so I had to knit in front of the pups instead.
Our community had it's annual Dumpster Days over the weekend, and we were scheduled to work on Sunday, another perfect opportunity to knit in public, which I did.
On a sad note, we lost another family member this week. Soren's great-uncle (our DDIL2's uncle) passed away from complications following surgery. It was sad and unexpected. He was young, by my standards. It's a reminder to cherish each day given us. 
What's on my needles: Mary Tudor cardigan, second sleeve started.
What's on my Featherweight: Back to Delectable Pathways, still working on the hand appliqué for the last panel.
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Rose Harbor in Bloom by Debbie Macomber on the Overdrive app. Now I'm listening to Georgette Heyer's The Masqueraders from Audible (a hilarious story reminiscent of Shakespeare's "12th Night,") and reading Pursuit and Persuasion, a mystery by Sally Wright from Book Bub on the Kindle app.
What's my app of the week: I have to give a shoutout to Siri. (She's an app, right?) I can ask her to call friends, find places and remind me of things, such as sending Carol my Pumpkin Polenta recipe.
What's in my wine glass: Fisheye Shiraz 2013, another big bottle.
What's my tip of the week:  If you change the gauge on a sweater pattern to make the sweater larger or smaller, remember that the rows/rounds per inch will also change. 

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment