Monday, May 19, 2014

From Moose to Horses

Joanie finished the scarf and James Bond sweater for a friend expecting a baby. She dressed a moose in them and sent them off.
The pattern is the '50s Lounge Jacket from this book.
Common Threads met on Thursday. Julie brought some quilts for show-and-tell. 
This quilt "sports" a quilting designed for the 2002 Winter Olympics, showcasing all the winter sports that are part of the Winter Olympics. It's a pantograph. 
Here' a closeup of the quilting. 
She and some other people made this quilt for another friend. It has Minky on the back. 
Joanie and Margareth were knitting. 
Friday afternoon  Julie and I went to Joanie's to knit with her. We talked mostly about which books we were reading or listening to. Julie had just finished this cross stitch. It's Jardin Privé "Spirale"
Now she's working on a matching piece that's square. Joanie is knitting a vest, and I'm making good progress on my Mary Tudor cardigan. This photo shows the armhole shaping and the center front steek. There are steeks at the armholes, too, but it's hard to get them in the photo.
I have been looking at images for the appliqué for the new baby's welcoming quilt. I'm thinking of this one, but I'll have to redraw it to eliminate all the "noise" in the picture (things that can't be duplicated easily with appliqué). I may keep the eyelashes and do them either with a permanent archival pen or embroider them.
Hiking season has begun again, and we braved the muddy, sometimes snowy trails to see views like this:
We lost a neighbor last year in an avalanche. He was employed by the Utah Department of Transportation working to assess the danger of avalanche in a canyon above Salt Lake City, when he was hit by the very danger he was assessing. Friends and family erected this bench, a ski lift seat, at a spot where hikers and snowshoers could admire the view.
It was sad to think if how his family must be missing him, but the view made me smile.
On a brighter note, The doll beds made it to Wisconsin in time for Daphne's birthday. We Skyped on Tuesday afternoon, and she showed us how carefully she put her babies to bed and covered them with the blankets and quilts. They don't have to sleep in her bed anymore unless they wake up with a bad dream.
The last Utah Opera performance of the year was yesterday. It was Mozart's "Abduction From the Seraglio," great performances of beautiful music, and especially fun because I just finished listening to a book about a young woman who was writing of a novel full of abductions. She gets abducted herself and learns that it isn't all that much fun, so her novel goes into the fire. The opera was hilarious. Well done, Utah Opera! My knitting attracted attention during intermission. A lady came over and wanted to know how hard it was to knit with "all those colors." I explained that there were only two colors in a row/round, and showed her the chart I was using, explained the steeking process and showed her the original from Tudor Roses. I wonder if she'll give it a try.
And oh, yes! Franklin Habit "Liked" my Mary Tudor on Facebook! He's a national knitting teacher and author of It Itches, and he's very funny besides. His blog is a real kick, and his Craftsy class on lace edgings is fun and useful.
What's on my needles: Mary Tudor cardigan.
What's on my Featherweight: Delectable Pathways, still waiting to finish hand appliqué.
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished listening to La Danse de la Folie by Sherwood Smith from Audible. A fun and clean Regency story reminiscent of Jane Austen, artfully written and with a wonderful twist at the end. Now listening to The Wizard of London by Mercedes Lackey, another one of the Elemental Masters series. On the Kindle app, I've finished reading Hilda Hopkins, Murder, She Knit by Vivienne Fagan. Quirky and funny, if somewhat macabre. Ready to start something new.
What's my app of the week: Librivox. Audiobooks read by volunteers, books in the public domain, such as Jane Austen's novels, the Scarlet Pimpernel series and Anne of Green Gables series, available for free. Now they have an app for that!
What's in my wine glass: Fisheye Shiraz 2013. The big bottle. (I seem to say "big bottle" a lot, don't I?)
What's my tip of the week: According to my veterinarian, baby shampoo makes great dog shampoo. I've always used it on their heads and faces, but I didn't know you could use it all over. (It's also good for washing your knitting, although it has to be rinsed out, and there are some nice washes now for wool that don't need rinsing.)

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment