Thursday, May 8, 2014

Better Late Than Never?

Apologies for the late post. I found myself with my blog post written and no internet when the time came.

 We left Tuesday of last week to head to Moab, parts south and lower elevations to spend more than a week in our little trailer. DH really enjoyed his Nook while we were traveling. We didn't watch a single movie! I used my iBooks app for bedtime reading and the Audible app for audiobooks, so I could knit.
I can cook in my little kitchen, but I had prepared and frozen most of our food, so the cooking was easy.
 The first four nights, we stayed in the RV campground Archview Resort outside of Moab. We had hookups and internet, and filled with noisy ATV enthusiasts. The first couple of days were cool, but warmer than at home, at least. Then it warmed up to beach weather. Thursday the pups and I took a hike near the campground, while DH went on a hike with his brother. We (the pups and I) had some great views.
The following day was much warmer, so DH and we took the pups to Mill Creek Trail just outside Moab. This trail has been chosen by GORP.com as one of the 10 best doggie hikes in the country. The pups would agree. They got some swimming in, and it was a nice hike for the two-leggeds, including lots of beautiful wildflowers and a couple or waterfalls. 
When we stopped at the gas station, we encountered this interesting doggie-centered vehicle.
I found out too late that Moab has a nice local yarn shop and a local quilt shop. Next time we go there, I plan on visiting both.
Saturday we moved the trailer to close to Goblin State Park and parked on BLM land for a couple of nights. Oh, the wind! I think we took half the desert with us when we left. I'm still knocking red sand out of my ears and blowing it out of my nose!
We had a nice hike on Sunday, one that required some scrambling, and I'm not talking about eggs. Fortunately, the pups are very agile and didn't require help. Besides the gorgeous flowers, we have seen some beautiful sunsets. 
Then we were off to Capitol Reef for a few days. Part of visiting Capitol Reef was a look at the early 20th Century community of Fruita. On the first morning we woke up to a herd of mule deer in our "backyard."
There was a school, a blacksmith's shop and several other original buildings with recorded messages on life in southern Utah in the early to mid 20th century.
I brought several projects along to work on, but my focus has been on getting a start to the Mary Tudor cardigan from Tudor Roses by Alice Starmore using Palette yarn in Brindle Heather, Indigo. Heather, Midnight Heather, Blue Note Heather, Toffee, Marine Heather, Suede, Clematis Heather and Regal. I made a lot of progress while I was without Internet.
(You can see the steek to the right, the sort of checkerboard stitches.) I also CO some socks, so I would have a small project to grab, using Cat Bordhi's Bavarian Twisted Stitch pattern and Stroll Tweed in Flagstone Heather.
What's on my needles: Mary Tudor Cardigan, a couple of inches of body done. Also Cat Bordhi's Bavarian Twisted Stitch socks using Stroll Tweed in Flagstone Heather.
What's on my Featherweight: Still waiting for Delectable Pathways to be ready to put together. 
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Just finished The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen and started Unnatural Issue by Mercedes Lackey. We listened to The Face of Fear by Dean Koontz while traveling. Still watching "Stranded Colorwork, Basics and Beyond" from Craftsy.
What's my app of the week: Compass. It works even without internet. How is that possible?
What's in my wine glass: Gato Negro Malbec, again, the big bottle. What's not to like?
What's my tip of the week: Always schedule a blog post in case you lose Internet or find yourself without it.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment