Monday, February 3, 2014

Back to Whatever is "Normal"

Lynda has finished her Dogwood Blossoms!
She's the first one in our group of four or so to finish it. She wore it to our Common Threads meeting on Thursday. Mine is close to finished (has been for a long time), and I plan to get it done during the Ravellenic Games. 
Here is the sweater Margareth and I were trying to resize to fit her at our meeting two weeks ago. She says that she has tried it on, and it fits perfectly.
The pattern is the Bayside Pullover from Hannah Fettig's Coastal Knits
Margareth is adding subtle stripes, because she didn't have enough of the main color yarn. I love her color choices. It's going to be worth all the math we had to do. 
Now Lynda's working on this great shawl. It's called "Dream Bird," and was designed by Nadita Swings.
Lone is working on felting and paper projects. 
Here's Ellen's garage-sale find from several years ago. The circles are yoyos, appliquéd down. She's thinking of using this piece as the center medallion of a quilt.
My first I-spy quilt top is finished. This one is for Zachary's second birthday in April. I have another one virtually the same to make for Soren, who will be two in July. I picked up the border fabric for both quilts on Tuesday at our local quilt shop after a sewing session at Ellen's. Because I'm using the same fabric for both quilts' borders, I have enough fabric to get the length of all borders without piecing them.
And...the endless Christmas Waffle Sweater is coming along. The second sleeve is finished. 
You may remember that I wasn't happy with the top-down sleeves. These were much easier to make, and I like the way they look better. Starting on the yoke.
I've been enjoying the new slow-cooker book I bought when I was in SLC with Ellen and Brenda. (Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You by Kathy Hester.) I made the "Pumpkin Polenta" overnight for breakfast, and it turned out great. I used water instead of nondairy milk and real cheese instead of the faux cheese. (I don't eat meat, but I'm not vegan.)
The other "excitement" for the week was Rocky's injury. We think he did it playing Frisbee in the snow a week ago Saturday with some other dogs. We didn't notice anything until Monday, when he got up unable to turn his head to the left. Our vet had us try aspirin for several days, but it was taking a long time to get better, so we took him in on Friday. Pulled muscle was the diagnosis. Now he's on two different medications to relax the muscle and reduce the pain, and seems to be recovering significantly. Never a dull moment with the pups!
Finally, the local groundhog saw his shadow on Sunday. Six more weeks of winter. I wish it were only six more weeks. That would be unusual for us. 
What's on my needles: "Green Tea" socks for me, second sock, and Dogwood Blossoms holding, and Christmas Waffle sweater moving along, with the second sleeve (second version) finished. Starting the raglan decreases for the yoke. 
What's on my loom: Christmas present scarves, a few more inches done.
What's on my Featherweight: Piecing the second I-spy quilt, this one for Soren. 
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Phantoms by Dean Koontz, from Audible and started Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey. Still reading Pemberly to Waterloo by Anna Elliot in iBooks, bought through Book Bub. Also listening to the Fiber Hooligan podcast and the Knit Picks podcast, as usual.
What's my app of the week: I'm really getting a lot of use out of The Recipe Box.  I'm adding my favorite recipes, so I can find them easily. It even let's you include a photo.
What's in my wine glass: Proximo by Marqués de Riscal Rioja, 2009, from Spain. Nice! It says "Alc. 135% on the bottle. No wonder it tastes so good! (No, that has to be a mistake.)
Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment