Monday, January 6, 2014

Holiday Fun, Part Deux

From Wisconsin, we drove 10 hours to Peru, Indiana, just north of Kokomo to visit DS1 and DDIL1.
DS1 and DDIL1 had her grandkids to visit, so it was a full house, with four adults, three kids and four dogs. The kids have grown up a lot since we saw them last. We visited the library in Peru to get books for Kyle, the youngest. I was amazed with how many more books they have than our tiny library does!
Kyle took a liking to Sunny. She liked him, too.
I got some funny money for yarn and fabric for Christmas and birthday. DDIL Patty and I went to Little Scraps, the quilt shop in Kokomo, and picked up some bargains in the last hours of their end-of-the-year sale. (I wrote about them during my last visit.) This is my haul from Little Scraps. (My yarn money went to Knit Picks, and my order may be waiting for me when I pick up the mail.)

They have moved things around a little since my last visit, but the same nice ladies run the shop. (The brown fabric with the rose hips on it is a different color way of the same fabric I used in my hexagon quilt. That one had a cheddar background. This was all they had left, so I had to snatch it.)
We had a nice New Year's Day dinner, with black-eyed peas, broiled salmon, veggies, brown rice and bread. 

We used our DVR at home to watch the Rose Bowl game by accessing it through the Dish app and feeding it from DS1's computer to the TV. 
They brought out a heater to keep the old people warm. Their dogs liked it, too. Here's Odie, enjoying the heat.
I finally got to take a photo of the appliqué quilt I made a few years ago and gave to our Son and DDIL as a Christmas present s couple of years ago. It's hanging on the wall in the computer/workroom

The border fabric was a challenge fabric for one of the last activities of our now-defunct Silver Queen Quilters Quilt Guild. We were required to use five fabrics. We had size requirements, too, but any techniques were acceptable, including embellishments and embroidery. I used googly eyes, and spangles for castanets. I used the peppers wearing sombreros in the challenge fabric as an inspiration for the song, "La Cucaracha."
I'm trying to get photos of all the quilts I made back before I started taking photos. (Not all of them are in my possession.)
While traveling, I've been making progress on the Green Tea Socks. Here's the first sock. The second one is moving along. 
We hit the road again on Friday, after a great visit with DS1 and DDIL1, trying to dodge snow storms on our way home. 

What's on my needles: "Green Tea" socks for me, second sock progressing well.  Dogwood Blossoms and Christmas Waffle sweater moving along.
What's on my loom: Christmas present scarves, ready to continue.
What's on my iPad/iPhone: I'm still listening to The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey from Audible. Reading Dragonseye by Anne McCaffrey from the library on the Kindle app, checked out using the Overdrive app. Also listening to the Fiber Hooligan podcast and the Knit Picks podcast.
What's my app of the week: This week it was a tie, a nice change from having to rack my brain for a choice. Dropbox. Useful for sharing videos with friends and family. I needed it to send the videos of Daphne's recital to her parents. Or maybe Dish, which allowed us to watch a game on a channel the kids didn't have. (Various travel apps also were in contention.)
What's in my wine glass: Green Fin California Red Table Wine 2012. Good value!

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment