Monday, September 9, 2013

Beautiful Bears, Bigger Blankets and Budget Books


Joanie has finished another bear for the Mother Bear Project:
You can just see the petticoat with a picot edge peeking out from under the skirt. (Joanie is a fantastic designer.) These bears go to children who have HIV/AIDS, mostly in African countries. Each one has a tag with the name of the person who made it. Ravelry has a pattern for an in-the-round bear for Mother Bear Project. Whether you get the Ravelry pattern or buy a pattern from the Mother Bear website, the cost is $5, which goes to help offset the shipping costs of the bears.
Common Threads met at Margareth’s lovely new place. She has a wonderful place for her loom. Right now she’s working on a doubleweave blanket:


You can see the two selvedges on the weaver's right (lower part of photo). The finished blanket will turn out to be twice the width using this method. It looks like a 2/2 twill. I can’t wait to see it finished!
Julie is making this knitted dress for her granddaughter. I'm tempted to make one for Daphne.
I’m plugging along on my appliqué. Panel #2 is nearly finished.
The Waffle sweater is also coming along. Dividing my time between projects really slows down the progress.
While working on various projects, I’ve been listening to A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, which I just finished. Very good book, 24 hrs. of listening entertainment, and there’s a sequel, Shadow of Night, which I’ve put on my Audible wish list. I’ve just learned that it’s a trilogy, and Book #3 (as yet unnamed) isn’t out yet, but I plan on spacing these books apart anyway. Book #1 is primarily about the relationship between members of three "non-human" groups: witches, vampires and demons, and the long-standing tensions between them. It seems to be sort of an allegory about racial/cultural prejudices and how those tensions play out when people of various groups get to know each other personally. It’s far more than that, though, with love, adventure, suspense and fantasy. Sort of like grown-up Harry Potter meets grown-up Twilight, but more.
Hiking in the late summer in the mountains around our home is wonderful. We've had a lot of rain lately, but we try to get out as much as possible to give the pups a good run before winter comes.
Another big event this week: Our landline telephone finally went bye-bye. The very last message on our answering machine said, “This is your final notification.” Little did they know! I look forward to naps, stitch counting and quilting without the interruptions from telemarketers.
Daphne's taking dancing lessons. You can tell she really loves it!
She also loves school. She can’t wait to go and doesn’t want to leave at the end of the day.
Finally, we went to the James Taylor/Utah Symphony/Mormon Tabernacle Choir Concert Saturday night. It was awesome. I was so tempted to sing along!

What's on my needles: Waffle sweater and Dogwood Blossoms.
What's on my loom: Warm colorway placemats.
What's on my Featherweight: Waiting to piece the Delectable Mountain block strips, when appliqué is done. The second appliqué panel is almost finished.
What's on my wheel: Still the Full Circle Roving in Caramel, bobbin #2. Making slow progress.
What's on my iPad/iPhone (books): Finished A Discovery of Witches. (See above) Now listening to David Baldacci’s Hell’s Corner from the library through the OverDrive app. Also finished the eBook mystery Stranger in Town by Cheryl Bradshaw on the iBooks app. I purchased the book from BookBub for $.99. I’m looking forward to more by this author. Just started Imperfect Pairings by Jackie Townsend on the Kindle app, also from Book Bub. I believe this one was free. So far, it’s a good read.
What's on my iPad/iPhone (podcasts): Fiber HooliganKnit Picks podcasts.
What's my app of the week: Netflix. I've had it before, but when they separated streaming from the DVDs, DH and I couldn't agree on which to get, so we cancelled. Now we're trying out the streaming version.
What's in my wine glass: Concannon 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon. Very nice!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook, using the iPad and iPhone for photos and photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment