Monday, July 22, 2013

Leonbergers and Spinners and Bears...Oh, My!


Common Threads met this week. Joanie was working on her second Mother Bear bear:
Her first bear is in a knit shop in Salt Lake City, hopefully recruiting more people to make bears for the project, which sends them to children who have HIV or AIDS, mostly in South Africa.
When I said I wanted to take a photo of Joanie’s bear, Karan said it looked like a voo-doo doll with all the pins sticking in it, which caused me to point out that somewhere in the forest there’s a bear wearing a pink tutu, clutching her stomach and moaning....
Joanie is working on another quilt. She wanted to make a pine tree wall hanging for Christmastime. It’s her first paper-pieced block:
It’s pretty easy, and a good way to learn paper piecing. She’s going to do several of the trunk sections before she tackles the tree section alone. She will have twelve of these blocks, all with the same background, but with dark sashing, a lighter border and binding to match the sashing. Watch for posts of her progress.
Janet made this quilt for her mother. It has Minky on the back. She started out with a bunch of Kaffe Fassett fabrics, and built from there.
I worked on my appliqué during the meeting  but I’ve also made progress on the second leg to the pants for Daphne’s Bunny Suit and the first Lantana sock:
The Full Circle Caramel, spinning for Tour de Fleece (TdF), is finished:
It still needs washing, but before washing, I have 20 WPI and 238 yds. 
I had to wash my hands after spinning all that Caramel. Now I’m finishing up the first bobbin of Fawn. TdF finished yesterday. I managed to spin a little every day during the Tour. I still have some spinning to do to finish the yarn for my woven blanket, though.
Speaking of weaving, I’m almost to the end on the third pillow for my Craftsy class, “Floor Loom Weaving.” I really like this twill pattern, called “Janet’s Favorite Twill.” (Janet Dawson teaches the class.) I had to redo the tie-up for this twill, because it was different from what I had on my loom before, but I’m really liking the pattern, so it was worth the extra work.
My yarn is Wool of the Andes Worsted in Hyacynth, Camel Heather, Winter Night, Currant and Bare.
Craftsy had a great sale on their online classes through the weekend. I grabbed Franklin Habit’s class, Heirloom Lace Edgings
Someone who's friends with him on Facebook said, “Look Franklin Habit is 75% off!” Well, he just jumped into my cart! (I recently discovered his blog. Fun reading!)
This week’s cuteness is provided by my friend Liana, who just acquired a new family member:
His name is Dante. This Leonberger is nine weeks old and weighs as much as our girl, Sunny. Rocky was small enough to fit in my hand when we got him! Dante came over to play. I think our pups were a little intimidated at first by a "baby" who was so big, but they made friends. This breed is very calm and compliant, so he will be nice company on hikes. He will be the size of a small horse when he grows up.
What's on my needles: The Lantana socks, The pants to Daphne’s Bunny Suit, second leg coming along.
What's on my loom: Craftsy Class Project, finishing pillow #3.
What's on my Featherweight: Piecing the strips to go with the hand appliqué. (Second appliqué panel about half done.)
What's on my wheel: Full Circle Roving “Fawn.”
What's on my iPhone: The Mists of Avalon, book one, by Marion Bradley, good so far. Also listening to The Serpent’s Shadow by Mercedes Lackey. 
What's my app of the week: Craftsy. With a newer-model iPad or the iPhone, you can watch your classes right on the app! I’ve just bought iWeaveIt for my iPad. I’ll do a review after I get back from vacation...unless I get to it by next week.
What's in my wine glass: Foxhorn Vinyards Cabernet Sauvignon, the “Slurpee” size!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook, using the iPad or iPhone for photo processing. Some photos taken with iPhone. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment