Monday, June 3, 2013

High Fiber—Summer Here at Last!


Wow! What a week! Monday we shopped the Memorial Day sale at Hancock Fabrics and got the fabric to recover the seat cushions and pillows for our porch furniture:
The fabric on the seat cushions and two of the pillows is UV outdoor fabric, so we can leave them out. The plain brown is not designed for outdoors, but I can take the pillows in at night. I should have taken a before photo of the old cushions, but I guess I was anxious to get the sewing done. Tuesday and Wednesday were devoted to the sewing, including hand sewing the pillows closed on one end.

It went fast, because Dean Koontz's Deeply Odd came out on Tuesday. I had preordered it from Audible. All the time I was sewing, I was either laughing out loud or had the hair standing up on the back of my neck. One of his best!

Wednesday I started my "Absorba the Petite, Bath Mat" and finished it Thursday after our special Common Threads meeting to welcome Kay back from her cruise. (We had a fifth Thursday in May.) The bath mat is a small version of Mason-Dixon Knitting's Absorba the Great, Bath Mat.


I have some Dishie in Linen ordered to make this project, but it's back ordered until August, so I picked up some Sugar 'n Creme in a dark brown to make this while waiting. I don't think I picked up the stitches exactly right, because it looks as if the middle is twisting counter-clockwise. It will do for now, though, and was quick to make, being...well...petite.

Everyone at Common Threads was just starting a new project, but Barbara brought a pair of finished socks for show-and-tell:


My Fiji socks are coming along. I'm to the heel flap on the second sock:


The pattern is Scrolls from Charlene Schurch's More Sensational Knitted Socks. The yarn is Stroll Glimmer in Fiji.

I need to decide what I'm going to knit for World Wide Knit in Public (WW KIP) Week. I may be finished with the socks by then. Maybe back to the bunny suit?

I've been making progress on my appliqué. I'll try to post a photo next week, but the first panel (of three) of Delectable Pathways is done except for the embroidering of the smaller stems.

I've been making some progress with my current spinning project. I hope to finish it during the Tour de Fleece, which starts June 29th. I'll be "competing" On Team Knit Picks Lovers and Team Kromski.


The fiber is Full Circle Roving in Espresso. I'm well into the second bobbin.

The rug for the master bath has been consuming my attention. I'm at the half-way point now, but I discovered I needed more yarn to finish it, so I ordered Wool of the Andes in Porcini, Masala and Bare. I think I have about enough of the other colors.


I also signed up for the floor loom weaving class from Craftsy, thanks to a half-price sale, so I had to order the yarn to make the three pillows that are the class project.

Saturday was cool, but sunny, so we took the pups for a hike. The wildflowers are really gearing up now.


Here's DH and the pups, enjoying the trails above our house.


Sunday our church participated in the Gay Pride Parade, along with some other Episcopal churches and our bishop. The LDS contingent was much bigger, but they way outnumber Episcopalians in Utah. It was good to see such a great turnout from both groups. The Episcopalians had a church service in the courtyard of the SLC Public Library beforehand. The pups got to participate in the parade, too.


Daphne, Zachary and their family have been visiting their other grandparents in Texas. They had a rather hair-raising trip back home to Wisconsin on Friday, passing through the heart of Oklahoma just a few hours before more tornadoes hit. We were very grateful when they called Friday night from their motel to tell us they were north of Kansas City. The call Saturday evening that they were home was likewise welcome. The kids had a great time visiting Texas. Here's a cute photo of Zachary:

He doesn't look like a baby anymore! His other grandfather calls him "Sir Grabs-a-lot!"

What's on my needles: Fiji Socks, Bunny Suit and Dogwood Blossoms Cardigan.
What's on my loom: Bathroom Rug #2, more than halfway to the 60" approximate length of the finished project.
What's on my Featherweight: Delectable Pathways, first panel of applique finished except for embroidered stems.
What's on my wheel: Full Circle Roving "Espresso," bobbin #2.
What's on my iPad: Just finished Dean Koontz's Deeply Odd, and now into Alexander McCall Smith's The Unbearable Lightness of Scones, from the library, as well as various podcasts.
What's my app of the week: the Knitter's Handbook, like having a knitting resource book with you on your iPad all the time.
What's in my wine glass: Foxhorn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon. The big bottle, after a big week!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook, using the iPad for photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment