Monday, June 24, 2013

Finishing, Fulling and Phones.


My favorite project for this past week is still my woven bag, now with lining and in use as my handbag:
There’s even room for a small knitting project and my iPad, but the bag itself isn’t heavy. The handles came from Joann’s. The homespun lining came from my fabric stash.
Common Threads met at Julie’s this week. Julie showed us her woven placemats:
Here’s the yarn she used (and the same thing in white):
Lynda’s baby sweater is coming along. This is the back. The back and fronts are worked all in one piece:
She used the white fleece from her angora bunny “Chablis” for the sheep.
“I couldn’t just leave it there....” That was Julie’s justification for buying all this $3/skein silk yarn on sale at a yarn store:
Now that she’s a weaver, she goes through yarn a lot faster.
Karan made this coaster set:
Here are some of the individual coasters:
She uses a “stack-and-whack” technique, so all the coasters are different.
I finished the knitting on the top to Daphne’s Bunny Suit:
I still have to sew the underarm seams, darn in the ends and sew on the buttons. Then off to the pants to the suit.
The big family event for this week (maybe for this month) is the expected arrival of my new iPhone (4S 16G). Of course any expected arrival requires a knitting project. I made this cozy on Friday out of some wool worsted from my stash, to felt/full and let dry in time for the iPhone’s arrival later today. It also works for my ancient iPod:
The yarn is Wool of the Andes Worsted in Coal from my stash. I have been wanting an iPhone for some time, partly because our land line has become a playground for solicitors, some of whom are ignoring the "Do Not Call" list. If I lie down (with the pups on top of me) I can count on the phone ringing just as I'm dozing off. Or I'm sitting, listening to a nice audiobook with a dog in my lap, or counting sts, or at my sewing machine a room away from the nearest phone. Or we sit down to dinner and the phone rings. I told DH I'm just not answering it anymore. The kids and my close friends know to call my cell phone. That means I'm going through more minutes on my Tracfone, which is loaded with minutes up front. I also want to be able to use the phone to navigate around town when I have to find a place I didn't know I needed to find before leaving home, or to take photos and send them directly to my various social media without having to wait for Internet, then load them onto my iPad and send from there. The phone had to be ordered, but it has made it as far as Salt Lake City and is due to be delivered today. Yaaay!
My Craftsy class project is coming along. Here’s a look at my class project:
This is the first of three pillows, all from one warp. Lower right of the photo shows where I learned to add new yarn. I’m waiting to see what the teacher is going to have us do with the tails. Upper right is adding-machine tape that helps me keep track of how far to weave the various patterns. I’ve been having trouble keeping the twill even, but I'm sure it will improve with practice. Because it goes over three and under one it doesn’t take as much beating as the plain weave, and certainly nothing like the weft-faced rugs I’ve been weaving, because they require extra beating. The cloth will be fulled when finished, so the loose places should close up a bit. The yarn is Wool of the Andes Worsted in HyacinthCamel HeatherCurrant and Bare.
In quilting news, here’s my progress on the Delectable Pathways second appliqué panel.
You can see, I have to sew the stems down first, and in the right order (stems that are covered by other stems go first), before I can sew down the leaves and other images that go on top. I like to start at one end of the applique and finish everything in that section before moving on, but you could just as easily sew down all the stems first, then all the leaves of the same color (saving time threading needles). I prefer to work from one end to the other, just as I prefer to knit one sock at a time, rather than two at once. I find watching the progress more enjoyable that way. I'm also enjoying sitting out on the deck, now that it's sometimes warm enough. A good place to knit, sew or spin.
I’ve started watching Mary Sorensen’s “Learn to Love Needleturn” DVD and enjoying it. A good reminder of what I learned several years ago in her class at the Quilt Fest, although I have no doubt I'll learn a few new things, perhaps the tips from her advanced class, which I was unable to get into.
Tour de Fleece starts on Saturday. I’ve signed up for Team Knit Picks Lovers 2013 and Team Kromski 2013. My plan (in case you’ve missed earlier blogs) is to spin up all my Full Circle Roving in all the available colors to weave a blanket.
I should have a report and a photo or two next week.
What's on my needles: Daphne’s Bunny Suit.
What's on my loom: Class project for Craftsy class “Floor Loom Weaving.”
What's on my Featherweight: More pillows for my deck furniture.
What's on my wheel: Full Circle Roving, “Espresso.” Gearing up for TdF.
What's on my iPad: Just finished The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey from Audible. Sort of Beauty and the Beast meets Jane Eyre. Also various podcasts. I’m looking forward to reading more of Lackey’s novels. Now I’ve started Stieg Larsson’s The Girl Who Played With Fire from the library. I enjoyed the first of the trilogy and the two films made from it, so I’m looking forward to this novel, and it's interesting so far. Also various podcasts, including the Knit Picks Podcast and the Fiber Hooligan Podcast.
What's my app of the week: With a new iPhone, I may be adding some new apps. Watch this space.
What's in my wine glass: Lindeman’s Shiraz-Cabernet 2012. The big bottle. Very nice.

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook, using the iPad for photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment