Monday, February 18, 2013

High Fiber—Back on My Rocker and Weaving Looming Large!


We picked up my new loom on Wednesday and set it up in the living room until spring.
Joanie's son, Mike, helped take it partially apart, so he came along to help put it back together.
We offered the directions, but when Mike found out there was no diagram, he said, "No, thanks!" DH came along to help with the lifting, tying the loom on the bed of our pickup and to drive. He also helped with the reconstruction at our house. (It's his gift to me for my 70th birthday, after all!)
A weaving teacher is coming next Wednesday to help me get it set up and to give me a lesson using my own loom. My thanks, not only to Joanie, Mike and my DH, but also to Karan and Margareth from Common Threads, who finished off Joanie's final weaving project and took it off the loom!

Thursday, Vintage Stitchers met at Janet's house. We had no new snow, so most of the Salt Lake ladies made it. For show-and-tell, Janet showed us her charity quilt. She used some fabrics Rebecca gave away awhile back.
Brenda had this Crab Shack quilt to show off:
Barbara's made this Car Quilt for one of her grandsons:
Barbara's other grandson will be getting this Dinosaur Train Quilt:
Here's the back of the Dinosaur Train quilt:
We had Valentine's Day on Thursday as well. I thought you should enjoy this Valentine Hart. (Her last name really is "Hart.")
Joanie and I had a good time at the antique fair on Saturday in Ogden. It was a bit of a challenge with her O2 and wheelchair, but we managed OK. She got a couple of great framed pictures, some strawberry baskets (to use for Easter baskets) and a green plant stand with a plant for behind the loveseat she has moved to where her (MY) loom used to be. We each got a bottle of Howard Feed-n-Wax, which is what she recommended for the loom, although it can be used on other furniture as well. My big purchase was a small, mission-style rocking chair. It isn't child-size, but not as big as most adult chairs. It's exactly the right size for me. I sat in it a couple of times before I bought it. It was so comfortable. I've been missing my Boston rocker, which I gave up for Daphne nearly three years ago.
Rocky loves it. He used to climb in my lap when I was sitting in the Boston Rocker, and if I didn't rock, he would start moving his upper body back and forth to indicate I should rock him. Maybe he thinks it's called a "Rocky chair." It should be a good height for knitting and quilting. Maybe even for spinning, if Rocky doesn't insist on claiming my lap every time I sit down. I guess you could say I am no longer "off my rocker." Neither is Rocky.
 
We ended up Saturday's excursion at Ogden's Needlepoint Joint, as usual. She picked up some Eucalan wool wash and I landed a DVD, Madelyn van der Hoogt's "Weaving Well." She's the one who did the DVD on warping the loom I bought and have already watched. I'm hoping that by watching this new DVD, I will save some time on Wednesday when I have my private lesson and maybe learn more.

What's on my needles: Christmas Waffle Cardi (starting the neck), Dogwood Blossoms.
What's on my loom: We shall see! So far, just the old warp threads left over from Joanie's last project.
What's on my wheel: Still the Full Circle Roving in Pigeon.
What's on my Featherweight: Still the "Delectable Pathways" designed by Mary Sorensen. Almost half done with the delectable mountain blocks, and the appliqué is started again (but not on the machine).
What's on my iPad: D. E. Stevenson's Emily Dennistoun, various podcasts while knitting or spinning. I'm listening to John Grisham's The Litigators on my MacBook while quilting.
What's my app of the week: Oscars. DS2, AKA "Soren's Daddy," worked on "ParaNorman." It's nominated for Best Animated Feature Film at this year's Academy Awards.
What's in my wine glass: Charles Shaw (Two-buck Chuck) Shiraz. One of my favorites!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook, using the iPad for photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment