Monday, January 28, 2013

High Fiber--Films and Friends


Ellen has been working on a Christmas quilt. 
She's using a kit she picked up after Christmas last year when we went shopping at one of the Salt Lake City quilt shops. It's Bloom Creek's "Holidays at Home." She has the center block almost done.
There are two smaller block designs in the strips surrounding the center block, with four of each design used. Here's one:
Here's another block, all four completed:
Ellen has one more block design to sew together. This block will be in the four corners. You can see more from Bloom Creek here.
Most of my time this week was spent working shifts at the Eccles Theater in Park City, the largest of the venues involved in the Sundance Film Festival. It's crazy, hectic work, usually followed by long periods of not too much to do while the films are playing. Here are some of my fellow volunteers hanging out in the lobby.
One of the best films I saw this year was "History of the Eagles, Part One." It's a documentary about the band "The Eagles." There is also a "Part Two," and both will be aired on Showtime in February. I didn't know much about the band before seeing the film, but I recognized their music. 
Toward the end of the festival I had the good fortune to be working as an usher during the showing of "Jobs," the film about Steve Jobs, starring Ashton Kutcher. Reviews have been mixed, but I enjoyed it, and thought it followed the biography by Walter Isaacson fairly closely. I don't have a photo of Ashton Kutcher and the other cast and crew to show because we're not allowed to take photos of the "talent," and I was up in the balcony, so too far away to get good photos anyway. This film will be out in April.
In preparation for the arrival of my loom, I ordered Madelyn van der Hoogt's DVD on warping from KP. Here's a photo of my KP order:
The DVD is very interesting and informative. The first disc was easy to understand. The second went a little over my head. I have no doubt that it will make more sense after I've had some experience with the loom.
In spite of busy shifts at Sundance, I've made progress on DH's Christmas Waffle Cardi:
I'm on the second sleeve, and should have it finished soon. I put everything on waste yarn and tried it on DH. I've decided to work another inch on the body and the sleeves, based on his "fitting."
We got our disc with the photos my niece took of our Christmas together. Just had to share Daphne's response to her Bitty Twins. This was taken right after she opened the package:

Daphne had a lot of fun playing with her new friends. She named them "Dolly" and "Brother." (Thanks to Amanda Howse Photography, Seattle area, for some wonderful photos!)

What's on my needles: Christmas Waffle Cardigan, second sleeve.
What's on my wheel: Haven't had time to spin this week, due to Sundance, so no progress on the Full Circle Roving in "Pigeon" currently on my wheel.
What's on my iPad: Besides the podcasts I'm catching up on, I'm listening to Dean Koontz's 77 Shadow Street.
What's in my wine glass: Alice White Shiraz 2011. The big bottle. Good value.
Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook, using the iPad for photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment