Monday, October 1, 2012

High Fiber--Vintage, Volts and Votes!


This week was Vintage Stitchers. We met at Rebecca's.


Rebecca is our appliqué queen, as you can see from this quilt mounted on her living room wall. It's from Kim Diehl's book, Simple Graces.

She is putting the binding on her embroidery quilt:

Julie did a great job quilting it, as usual. Here's a closeup of one of the embroidered blocks:

I guess it's safe to say that Rebecca is also an embroidery queen!

Brenda has been busy working on her applique quilt. This is from Edyta Sitar's book, Hop To It! You may recognize the bunny block, which I used in Daphne's baby quilt.


Vintage Stitchers is always an inspiration! It can also be very "vintage." Not only are some of us getting up there in years, but among us we have a variety of vintage quilts, including this one of Rebecca's:

It's clearly from the '30s, as you can tell by looking at the fabrics and construction. Rebecca is going to try to replicate it using appliqué instead of piecing. It's always fun to see a quilt that's older than our oldest members!

Before my busy weekend started, I took a photo of my progress on the Dogwood Blossoms Cardi:

I put the body on two circs to try it on. It will fit perfectly! I think the point in the pattern where the sleeves ended will be about right for the armholes. I'm actually about 1/2" further along than in this photo. I got lots of knitting done on Friday afternoon during the long car trip to Colorado. More about that in a bit.

On the construction front, our electrical system is complete except for the fixtures (outlets, switches and lights). Here Brian, our sparky (construction parlance for "electrician"), discusses outlet placement with DH. We're getting outlets put inside the cabinets of the vanity for electric toothbrush, shaver and hair dryer, so they can be kept out of view.

I accidentally startled Brian when I started taking photos. He didn't see me with the camera and thought when the flash went off that something had shorted out. Good thing he doesn't have a heart condition! From then on, I was sure to notify him when I was going to take a photo. Yikes! Nothing worse than a dead sparky!

If you read last week's blog post, you'll know that we had been concerned about the big pipes going right through the middle of what is supposed to be open space in our bathroom. Tom says, "No problem!" The plumber (or as cherylbwaters says, our "drain surgeon") will be here today to fix up the drains and supply pipes for water in the sinks, shower and toilets. He'll also adios the vent pipes in the middle of the master bath and find new routes for them. The insulation will go in next, and then the sheetrock.

Here you can see where our vanity will be. The rectangles are where the medicine cabinets are going to go. To the left in the photo, you can see through the "walls" to the broom closet, which will be in the powder room, and the hanging closet in the new hallway leading to the master bath.


It has been a busy weekend! I spent part of the weekend registering voters in Grand Junction, Colorado. Here's fellow Park City volunteer Joyce, ready to hit the neighborhoods:

 
The 5 1/2-hr. drive down allowed me to get a lot of knitting done. We stayed overnight in the home of a Grand Junction campaign supporter. Saturday morning, volunteers fed us a nice breakfast before we went out to canvass and register voters. We were going to the homes of people who had put in a change of address with the post office but had not yet registered. The trip back Saturday night was in the dark, so no knitting possible. I nodded off. I got to bed at 2:00 AM.

Everyone be sure to register and vote! If you have moved, you will need to re-register. In some states you are dropped from the mail-in ballot rolls if you didn't vote in the last election. Volunteer for your favorite candidates, too, if you have time. It's fun! Phone bank is at my house Tuesday evening, if you have time to drop in. It's interesting, working around the construction these days! We have a functional bathroom downstairs, but there's a "Honey Bucket" outside, just in case.

On the baby front, Zachary and Daphne have had colds. They're on the mend now, but here's a photo of one of the invalids:
 
Soren is learning to roll over, and Zachary is learning to rock back and forth in preparation for crawling. Who knows? Next week's blog may have new reports on both! Check this spot next Monday!
 
What's on my needles: Dogwood Blossoms Cardi, moving along.
What's on my wheel: Full Circle Roving in "Pidgeon," not moving along. Too much stuff going on!
What's on my iPad: Still Dean Koontz's Odd Apocalypse. I'm looking forward to getting back to it!
What's in my wine glass: Alice White Shiraz vintage 2011. Always nice! (I don't tell you about the bad wines, do I?)

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook. The iPad was used to process photos. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment