Monday, September 5, 2011

High Fiber--Happy Labor Day!

DGD1's Quilt is finished and the backing purchased. Off to my long-arm friend, Julie (Julie Thorum, Mountaintop Quilting, thorum@xmission.com).




 



 


Julie showed up at Common Threads on Thursday at my house. She brought Ellen's pineapple quilt, quilting done:


 



 


Here's the back, showing the quilting.


 



 


Julie also quilted Janet's African whole-cloth quilt. The fabric for the top was purchased by Janet's daughter during a service trip to Africa.


 



 


And here's the back, showing the African-themed pantograph:


 



 


Not much knitting getting done, what with the pressure to finish the batik quilt for DGD1, but I have managed to do a little spinning in the evenings.




Progress on spinning the PA sapphire blue merino: bobbin #3 almost done. I picked this up at Twisted in Portland, so it's a souvenir of my visit there for Sock Summit.





 


A couple of months ago, I picked up a little supported spindle at the garage sale of a friend. It was supposed to rest in a bowl while spinning, but the bowl was missing. I had been looking for a replacement bowl. Well, my friend found the bowl, and Sunday she brought it to me, along with the diz that went with it. I should have put something in the photo for scale, but the spindle without the bowl is 5 1/4" high, just to give you an idea.


 



 


All three were made by Rod Stevens of Woodchuck Products, Taos, NM. (He doesn't have a website.) On the bottom it has the initials R.D.S., the artist, I assume, and "Bubinga." I found out that it's the name of the wood. We thought it was teak, which it resembles. Bubinga is an African luxury wood, often used in archer's bows, and harps and other musical instruments.


There were also the letters "WP" on the bottom of the bowl, I assume for Woodchuck Products. The diz has a tiny, tiny hole. I will have to use my tiniest crochet hook to get the fiber through it. It should give me a very fine strand of predrafted fiber for spinning. (Thanks go to Goatboy on Ravelry for identifying the spindle, and to Pickle Peg for posting it there.)



I hope to get some knitting done this week. I'll let you know. In the meantime, if you work, have ever worked, hope to get a job soon or are pregnant, happy Labor Day!



What's on my needles: Still the Bees Knees Cardi and the Lullaby socks.

What's on my wheel: PA hand-dyed Merino, bobbin #3.

What's on my iPad: Finished Deliver Us From Evil. Trying to decide what to listen to next.

What's my app of the week: World Clock, so I can keep track of when my UK friends are sleeping.

What's in my wine glass: A nice Barbera from Montevina Winery in Amador County, CA, 2008.



Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad with some assistance of the MacBook. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment