Monday, August 29, 2011

High Fiber--New Projects, Old Projects, and Red!

I've started on DGD1's quilt for her college apartment:



We picked out these batiks from Connecting Threads: (from left) Sunflower-Evening Sun, Aurora-Afterglow, Nebula-Ultraviolet, Aurora-Daybreak, Aurora-Flamenco, Dreamscape-Subterranean, Dreamscape-Fall Foliage, Dreamscape-Enchanted Forest, Jungle-Parade, Dreamscape-Sonora, Aurora-Grotto and Nebula-Harvest Moon. Flamenco will be the inside border and Harvest Moon the outside border. Ultraviolet and Enchanted Forest are just fat quarters, so there will just be touches in the quilt, but the others will appear more or less in equal quantities of lights and darks. I also have some batik scraps in appropriate colors I can throw in to give some variety.


 


I also received an order from Knit Picks.


 



 


The big skeins of yarn are Wool of the Andes Bulky in Chocolate, Red, Hazelnut and Suede (to mix with leftovers, for a purse) and the little skein is Dishie, to make a dishcloth for my kitchen, which is pretty neutral, but the accessories are red. I had made dishcloths out of a pale beige, but they always look dirty, even if they aren't. Red it will be. When I have nothing else to do, LOL!


The needles are a set of 6" Harmony dpns and two 24" NP circs, both for socks and in size 1.5 (2.5 mm), which is my favorite size for fingering-weight sock yarn. I never have enough.


The pretty little clasps are for Daphne's Bees' Knees cardigan, which is progressing well. I'm almost done with the sleeves, which are knit two at a time in the round, with steeks between. This is so they can be cut apart and the underarm seams sewn so that there isn't a jog at the beginning of the round. In the middle of the photo below, you can see the steek sts, with a marker on each side (one got twisted above the circ), easily, I hope, identified by the fact that the pattern goes sort of willy-nilly, with increases on each side. One pattern repeat of the Little Bees and it will be ready to put together.




There will be lots of yarn left over. Can anyone say, "More Socks?"


Speaking of Socks, I have been watching my favorite baseball team reach the top of the American League. Go Red Sox!



 


If it continues to look like they may make it to the World Series this year, I may have to use those dpns to CO a pair of socks in...you guessed it...red! (I watched Ted Williams play at Fenway Park in Boston when I was just in pigtails and have been a fan ever since. Of course, the fact that socks are involved doesn't hurt!)


 


With the hot weather, I have been using my slow cooker a lot. I fixed this the other night. One of our favorites, "Spicy White Bean and Sweet Potato Stew with Collards," from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson, although I used Chard instead, which didn't need precooking. Yum!



Another hot-weather activity is taking the pups swimming:



I have to be honest and admit that hot for my part of Park City (above 7200') is in the 80s. Still the house can get quite warm during the day because of the sun. However, we could get our first snow in the next few weeks, and forget Trick-or-Treating come the end of October!


 


Will Peggy get DGD1's quilt top finished this week? How about the Bees' Knees? Tune in next week and find out.


 


What's on my needles: Still the Bees' Knees and the new Lullaby socks.


What's on my Featherweight: DGD1's college quilt.


What's on my wheel: The PA merino. (Bobbin #3.)


What's on my iPad: The Knit Picks Podcast, The audiobook <u>Deliver Us From Evil</u> by David Baldacci, from the library.


What's on my nightstand: Cat Bordhi's book <u>New Pathways for Sock Knitters</u>.


What's my app of the week: Battery Doctor Pro, which is supposed to improve the life of your iPad battery. I heard about it in the "I Love My iPad" group on Ravelry, and it was on sale! I'm using it now, so this blog post is coming from my MacBook.



What's in my wine glass: Charles Shaw (AKA "Two-Buck-Chuck" in CA or "Three-Buck-Chuck" in other states) Pino Grigio, lightly chilled. Nice for hot weather.


 


<i>Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook. No other computer was used in any stage, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.</i></p>

No comments:

Post a Comment