Sunday, June 19, 2011

High Fiber--Doing for Others

Giving begins with family, so I have been working on Daphne's cardigan:





The pattern is The Bees' Knees from Mary Scott Huff's The New Stranded Colorwork. The yarn is Knit Picks' Stroll fingering weight in Golden Glow Tonal, Cocoa (actually some of the old EssentialSolid, probably closest to Fedora), Bare and Springtime Tonal.



This closeup shows where I had a boo-boo. The orange stitch marker is in the stitch below a brown stitch that was supposed to be yellow. I didn't notice until I had passed it by about 10 rounds. I went up to the stitch that was still on the needles but directly above the mistake, dropped down to the mistake, fixed it and then put all the sts back. I used a crochet hook. There was enough yarn in the float (the yarn that's stranded along the back) to make the st, so it worked out.

Sunny and I help others by serving as a therapy animal team. Research has shown that petting a dog or cat is relaxing and lowers blood pressure. Twice a month we go to a local nursing home. Friday Sunny and I went to Camp Hobe, a camp for kids whose lives have been touched by cancer.



Sunny really enjoyed the attention and gave lots of kisses. (She somehow knows which people want the kisses.)




You can just see the tip of her tongue in the photo above.

We do this work as a part of Therapy Animals of Utah, a Delta Society affiliate. There were 12 teams at Camp Hobe this year!



Buying things from a friend is kind of a service. When you find what you like, the service goes both ways! Last week I showed the fiber and spindle I got at a garage sale. Here's a closeup of the spindle by itself, so you can see how cute it is. DH thinks it's teak. It's designed to be used supported, on a table or countertop. I haven't tried it yet, but it spins nicely by itself.



Our dogs require food, grooming and exercise, which we have to provide for them. This giving also goes both ways, because not only do they provide us with company, but hiking with them gives us exercise, too. Saturday we took a hike with the pups. They had a good time, and it was nice for them to get to swim in the pond after the hike. Next time I'll take peanuts for treats, so they all know to pose for the camera! (DH isn't influenced by dog biscuits. Sunny and Rocky know how to pose for the camera, though! They will do almost anything for a treat!)



I worked on my applique project a bit this week. I'll try to get a photo of it for next week.

I'm hoping to CO another pair of Mitts of Steal for dialysis patients this week. This is one way to have the fun of knitting or crocheting while doing something nice for someone in need. I'm going to help deliver the next batch of Mitts while I'm in Oregon next month, so I want to add to what I'm going to deliver. This makes a great mindless knitting project, and they are very quick to finish, taking less than a 50 gm ball of yarn.

What's on my needles: DBIL's "Prayer" cardi, front and back finished, a good start on Daphne's Bees' Knees cardigan, and I'm working on my applique project again for a special quilt.
What's on my wheel: The Louet Olive Green Corriedale, bobbin #3. The bobbin is filling up. Soon I will be ready to ply!
What's on my iPad: I finished Dog Sense by John Bradshaw. Excellent book! Now I'm starting The Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel.
What's on my iPod: Various podcasts, still including The Sweater Quest by Adrienne Martini, read by the author.
What's my app of the week: I'm using Skype in a new way. We got the service that allows us to call phone numbers with the iPad. It saves on long-distance, I don't have to use my minutes on my Tracfone, and my hands are free to knit or quilt!
What's in my wine glass: Crane Lake 2008 vintage Zinfandel, one of my favorites!

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and MacBook working together, but no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment