Monday, February 7, 2011

High Fiber--Packers, Parties and Pugs

Seems like every week around here is busy! The Gretel Cardi was finished and mailed off:



I chose some tagua nut buttons for it. The pattern is the "Natural Beauty for Baby" from Knit on Down. I made the sleeves a little longer so Daphne could still wear it when she's a little bigger. You can find this book here.

I cast on the "Highland Mist" shawl from Everyday Style Classic Knits for Women by Carol Rasmussen Noble. I'm using some white baby alpaca I spun last year during the Ravelympics. I'll try to have photos next week.

Saturday was my Daisy Chain quilting class. It's a fairly easy quilt, not something I needed a class for, but I signed up for it to help me get it done...sort of a deadline. Janet went with me.



Even though it's an easy quilt, the other students in the class were all experienced, so the class moved quickly. (That's Janet in the background, cutting strips.)



The classroom was lined with inspiring quilts that will be used in other classes.



I'm using '30s reproduction fabrics from my stash. Here are my segments C, B and A ready to be sewn together:



I barely made a dent in my '30s stash!



Here are the first two blocks on my display wall:



Sunday was the Superbowl party at a friend's house. I sat next to a Packer's fan. That was OK with me. Our DD lives in WI, and I have friends there. It was an exciting game. (That's DH in the front row, right, wearing his FI sleeveless cardi and hand-knit socks!)



I got a lot of knitting done, and the food was great. Of course, the commercials are fun. This was my favorite commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpjaOUjUPUc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For ultimate cuteness, though, check this out:




or this one with Fluffy:



If you look closely, you will see Daphne's Peter Rabbit quilt on the bottom of the playpen. (I guess you can tell I'm a besotted grandmother!)

I just finished reading Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Without Tears . It was an enjoyable read, if you like knitting.
On my iPod last week was David Baldacci's Split Second from
Audible. (Thanks to Kelley Petkun and David Reidy for turning me on to Audible. I have really been enjoying my subscription.) Now I'm listening to The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz. (I read it years ago. One of the advantages of a bad memory is you can read the same book again and not know how it comes out!)
On my wheel is still the Gaywool, but I'm making progress.

Will I finish the quilt top in time to give it to Julie on Thursday for quilting? Will I finish the shawl this month? Will I get snowed in and have to go on snowshoes to get groceries? These and other questions will be answered next week.

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the iPad. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment