Sunday, September 19, 2010

High Fiber--Quilting and Spinning at Elevation

Vintage Stitchers met last week. Here you see Rebecca (left) and Barbara working away on their quilts.



Barbara picked up her diamond quilt from Julie, who had done the machine quilting on it. (I love how she used a plaid in the borders!)



I was sewing the binding on the Turning Twenty wedding quilt. Here's what it looked like:



And a close-up view:



This quilt is made out of 20 fat quarters. Julie did the quilting on mine, too! Here's how the label looked:


I used Bubble Jet 2000 on the fabric, ironed it to freezer paper after it was dry, then cut it to 8 1/2 X 11" so it would go through the printer. It can be washed and should be permanent. The wedding was Saturday at Sundance. It was moving, and the brunch and party afterward were wonderful!



Ellen finished piecing the borders for her pineapple quilt and brought it to Common Threads, our quilting/stitching group. (Please excuse the dog toy on the floor!)



Janet had a charity "comfort" quilt finished. It was made out of leftovers. Another friend donated the quilting as her contribution.



In knitting/spinning news, I'm working on the last armhole ribbing of the Fair Isle sleeveless cardi I'm making for DH. I found a wooly board (also called jumper board) at Walmart online. It's made out of pieces of wood, just like the more expensive ones, but it's more reasonable. It's used to block this kind of sweater. I still have to sew down the trimmed steek sts before I block it, so the board should be here in time for the blocking process. This should give you an idea of where I am with it:



The Spin Along at Knit Picks Knitting Community has been taking up some of my time, but I'm learning a tremendous amount about spinning from all the experienced and talented people who participate, as well as from the people new to spinning, who often ask questions that get me thinking, or offer insights I hadn't thought about before.
I'm still spinning the dark chocolate Corriedale and am almost ready to ply another skein. I'm still playing around with my Knit Picks Turkish Drop Spindle, too. I decided to add a couple of nuts to the shaft to add weight until the cop gets built up enough.



I can remove the shaft, take off the nuts and put the shaft back with no trouble. (I'm taking notes from the local squirrels about storage when not in use.) This spindle always goes with me on hikes, such as the one on Spiro Trail (Park City, UT) on Wednesday, which was our anniversary. Forty-five years! But who's counting? Here's my DH with the pups on the trail.



I've been dyeing spinning fiber using Koolaid and food coloring. If you saw my blog here telling how I did it, you may not have seen the finished braid of fiber. The undyed fiber was Knit Picks' Superwash Merino and Nylon.



You can probably tell from my hike photo how I got the inspiration for the colorway, minus the green, of course. Usually we have our first snow by now, but so far it has only been on the mountaintops, not where we live.
My plans for the fiber? To spin worsted-weight and make a Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ) in a 9- 12 mos. size for Daphne. Here she is with Daddy at work. She's wearing the first BSJ I made her using the pattern found in Elizabeth Zimmermann's The Opinionated Knitter.



She helps with grading papers or sometimes acting as a paper weight if she's sleepy, while Daddy does the grading.

My iPad App of the Week is FirePlace.



I'm really enjoying it now that the nights are getting cooler. As an app, rather than a video, it takes almost no power, you don't have to carry wood or use gas. Of course, the warming capability is purely psychological, but I find it very nice to knit, quilt or spin to.

Here's wishing you all colorful fall days and warm evenings by the fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment