Monday, July 11, 2022

Bangs, Pokes and Stitches

Except for Monday, it was a quiet week at our place. Monday night, the July 4th fireworks display at Pilot Butte took place, as usual. It could be seen from the street, but while Charlie went out to watch, I stayed in with the dogs. Rocky had no problem, undoubtedly thankful for being nearly deaf, but Dusty got behind the rocker and wouldn't come out. In this photo from last year, you can see the butte. (Not my photo, taken by Ralph Klinke for KTVZ Channel 21.)


Most personal fireworks are outlawed within the city limits, so it was only a couple of hours of doggy torture.

We got this nice photo of our Soren and Johan providing the slices of bread for cousin Leo and cousin Elsie on July 4th.


Soren's birthday was the next day, although like me, he was born just a little after midnight, just avoiding a major holiday. Unlike many kids, he's always happy with whatever he gets, but this gift really seemed to hit the spot!


We had another...um...online wine party with MadroƱa Tuesday evening. They are every two weeks. I should get a photo next time. I always forget. I made some progress on my pullover.

Remember our hailstorm from July 2nd? The shredded barbecue cover?


We now have it covered by a very substantial tarp.


Rocky's incision after his lump removal is healing nicely. I used a flash to take the photo, because his hair is so dark. I thought the stitches were black, but they're purple.


Here's a closeup. He will get his stitches out next week, but it looks completely healed to me.


Rocky gets one kind of eye drops in both eyes twice a day, another kind in both eyes twice a day and in the left eye four more times a day. I have my timer set. He gets a vetprofen once a day and his thyroid and blood pressure medication twice a day. Dusty's medication is also twice a day, so I do them at the same time. I use little cups, the way they do in the hospital, so I don't get them mixed up. I tell them, "Here comes Nurse Ratched!" 

Besides the pullover, I did get some knitting in. I cast on a sweater for Pippa, Map Dot Seattle by Sharisse Dunn, in support of the KAL she sponsored in honor of her birthday. My project page is here. You can see I haven't made much progress yet, but I expect to be able to get it knitted up this week. It's designed for the larger dolls, but I'm using thinner yarn and needles.


Part of my time this week was spent getting my Tdap shot/booster. It's reformulated from the old DPT we used to get. Aside from the initial owie, I've had no pain or any side effects. The pertussis component was optional, but I thought why not? No one wants diphtheria or tetanus, with a 10% fatality rate. Whooping cough (pertussis) is very contagious, and it's especially dangerous to young children. Even if I don't get sick, I sure don't want to be guilty of passing it along to someone. When I was growing up, we had tetanus and diphtheria shots. I remember kids I knew coming down with whooping cough and being out of school for weeks. We had no vaccine for pertussis, chicken pox, both kinds of measles and polio. I was in the pharmacy for quite a while waiting to get my shot and pick up our medications.

I've been working on the next book. It will be a little different from the first two. It might have more pages. I'm reading through the stories I plan to use, checking for bad wording or typos. I checked on the sales, and they continue to trickle in. Every time the royalties reach $50, St. Jude gets a check. 

If you have a few minutes and are willing, please go to Amazon and B&N and search for "Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook by Peggy Stuart" in Children's. Every click on the page for the book makes it more likely they will keep a good supply in their warehouse and stores. If you are outside the US, you may have a separate website for these retailers. If you have a copy of our first book, Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, it would help if you left an honest review on the websites, especially if you bought from them.


Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Hinterland Pullover, some progress made, and the emPower People Kerchief, no progress again. Also, as I mentioned, a little jacket for Pippa.

What's on my loom: Still the trailer rugs, no progress.

What's on my sewing machine: Still waiting to get the back to the T-shirt quilt done.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth quilt, no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Our hailstorm last week inspired "Marbles from the Sky," in which the dolls learn how hailstones form.


What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone on the Audible app.  

What's in my wine glass: A white wine, ESPIRAL, Vinho Verde, from Portugal.

What's my tip of the week: Like spinach and chard, arugula can be cooked and is quite tasty, whether in a stew, soup, quiche, on pizza or just cooked together with other vegetables like carrots or squash. It's good raw in salads, too, of course.

Where are my books: The stories in each book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. Emil: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is now available for preorder from booksellers world wide. The link for Book Baby is hereThe three stories are Best BudsGetting What You Want, and The Boys Cook Dinner.
Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook is also available. The three stories in the first book are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.
If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop, because 50% of the price goes to St. Jude. Other booksellers pay much less. 




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment