Monday, September 27, 2021

Plodding Along

The projects are all coming along, although sometimes it's a struggle.

First, the whole-cloth quilt: This is the third corner, and it's almost done. The fourth corner is also almost done. There is still the last strip of cross-hatching between the third and fourth corners to do, but it's a short side. Then on to the borders.



The rugs are going much faster! For the third rug, I decided not to end each fabric selection at the edges. Instead, I'm switching fabrics wherever that strip runs out. It gives it a slightly different look, but the stripes in the warp threads still keep the plaid design.



I've been using cardboard strips between the rugs, so I'll have plenty of fringe and don't have to take out extra weft threads.




The Taina Shawlette doesn't look much different, although it has grown quite a bit.



My sheep collection got a new addition this week. this little Ram came from Mercy Corps. It was made by an artisan named Butina in Kyrgyzkstan. Monthly donors to this organization received these. He's tiny, but cute.



The St. Jude Walk/Run took place on Saturday. I'm participating virtually. I have until the end of the month to reach my goal of $500, which may turn out to have been overly ambitious. If you would like to donate, you can do so here. They sent me this nice wristband, and I have reached a level that will get me a T-shirt. St. Jude is a great organization. Patients at St. Jude never have to pay for treatment, travel, housing or food. All families have to worry about is getting their child well.



We have been using a retractible leash for Dusty. It turns out that it's a good way to keep him from jumping all over the place when he knows he's going for a walk. (He sort of gets excited.) the retractile leash's handle chased Dusty down the hall the first time, so now it's like an anchor. Once it's on, he just watches it and doesn't move. (He still trembles with excitement, however.)



While walking for St. Jude, we're also walking for Walk for a Dog, because both apps will run at the same time.




One thing that kept me busy early in the week was the remake of the cover for the new book. I had to pay for a month of InDesign, which I only used for a few hours. It isn't very easy to use, but it's what I have to do. However, I managed to get it finished. Here's the front. I think it will be better with the darker green background and a photo with more going on.




Here's the back. Since I had to redo the front, I decided to change the group photo on the back to include Pippa, and then I had to change the text to go with the photo. All that's missing is the bar code, which I'll add when I'm sure we're ready to print copies. I'm waiting for my proof copy now.




I also ran our daughter's Fisher Price My Friend Becky doll through the laundry (in a lingerie bag) and then treated her hair with conditioner. The hair was very matted, and she was fairly dirty, but this is definitely an improvement.




One more to go!

For some cuteness, Rocky....


...and Dusty....




We got the news on Wednesday that we will qualify for a Pfizer booster shot. We just need to figure out who can give it to us.

Where's my blog: If you want to follow my blog, go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Still the Taina Shawlette.

What's on my loom: Still the trailer rugs.

What's on my sewing machine: Its cover.

What's in my hoop: Still the whole cloth quilt.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Questions about petrified wood bring the Kidz outdoors to look at and discuss tree rings in Petrified, this week's story in #TheDollsStorybook.




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Deserter by Nelson DeMille and Alex DeMille on the Audible app. Just starting Wildwood, by Ellis Carson, which is the book behind LAIKA's next film.

What's in my wine glass: Domaine Bisconte 2018. Lovely.

What's my tip of the week: Cheerios make great dog treats. I learned this when I was active in Therapy Animals of Utah. If you need to give your dog a lot of treats, very tiny ones work great. 

Where's my book: Mariah: Stories from the Doll's Storybook is available from booksellers worldwide. If you don't get free shipping from Amazon or B&N, buy from the BookBabyBookshop. Royalties go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment, and that's 50% of the price when you buy there. Other bookseller take a much bigger cut. The three stories in the book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. The stories (and links to them) are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment