Monday, July 26, 2021

Finished Objects and Other Things

Tuesday I was able to take the rugs off the loom. Here they are before I cut them apart.



I finished the second rug first. All it needed was tying knots to keep the fringe in place.



The other rug was the first one woven. I found some missed warp threads, but I'm not going to worry about it. (I dare you to try to find them!) I did better as I got more experience, and I didn't find any in the other one, although I found and corrected a few while I was weaving and it was easy to fix.



Now I'm ready to warp the loom for rugs for the trailer. I can use the same tie-up, just fewer warp threads. I plan to use the black, turquoise and grey cotton yarn for warp and throw in some white, just because I still have some. The warp will make vertical stripes, which I think will be pleasant. The yarn is Sugar 'n Cream (black, grey and white) and Peaches & Creme (turquoise).


I don't have much quilting cotton and Indonesian batik left I want to use for rugs, so I may have to break down and buy some cheap cotton to use for this. I'd like to use mostly fabric that's yarn-dyed or where the color bleeds through to the wrong side, because when the fabric is printed on one side and almost white on the other, I feel I have to fold it with the wrong sides together as I work, so most of what shows is the print. That's tedious. I have more than half of the warp wound. I put the warping board on my stove, with a towel underneath to protect it.


I don't have a nice place to hang it on the wall where I can use it, but this works well, because I don't have to bend over or reach up high, and it stays put while I work. All that's on it in this photo is my guide string. Here it is with the fourth set of warp threads:


Just one more set to go.

Here's the warp I've already wound and taken to the loom.


I finished another project for Pippa, still as part of the Knit-Along in the Goetz Doll group on Ravelry. This was. Layer Cake. I thought I would get 8 sts/inch with the yarn and needles I chose, but it was closer to 7 sts/inch, so if I make this pattern again, I'm going to go down to a 2.25mm needle.




Here's the back.




It's totally seamless, which I love. No sewing up to do.

Saturday I fixed my favorite Indian Red Lentil Soup recipe, using our home-grown chard. I made garlic naan to go along with it.



Life in the doggie nursing home has calmed down a bit. Rocky is off the pain medication and the antibiotic as of a week after his surgery and seems to be doing well. He's getting around better, too. Now it's just the regular medications and eye drops to do. It's much easier to keep straight! Our groomer has agreed to break up Rocky's grooming appointment into two parts at a time separate from Dusty's to minimize the energy he has to expend all at once. She will wash and brush out one day and the next day we will go back for the clip.

The weather has cooled off enough for us to go for walks along the trail early in the day or in the evening. We need to take water, though, and a spray bottle filled with water, too, in case the pups get too warm. Rocky rides in the stroller most of the way, but he really enjoys it, and we let him out to walk on his own for short periods. We use the Walk for a Dog app when we walk, and periodically they make a donation to Best Friends, the dog-related charity we picked out. It's supported by advertising.



Things on the trail are interesting, as usual. There is often something new to see. The Little Library has been there for as long as we have lived here, but this is new:


We did see Oscar, but I didn't get a photo. Dusty was interested in making friends but then thought better of it.

This is fun. These people have a little sign at each knothole in the fence, as well as a birdhouse on each fence post and a clever little weather vane (upper left). The thing that looks like a mailbox says, "Messages." The wire basket sometimes holds informational brochures. A knothole down at child level (not in photo) says, "Peek-a-boo!"



This was also new, next door to the people who invite you to look into their garden. I can only guess it is meant to depict what happens to people who look over their fence. The dark pair on the left was wet from the knee down on the left leg. I suspect that a dog was leaving a commentary on the display. Dusty wouldn't go anywhere near these creatures, though.


The same people have these signs on the fence a little further to the right. The yellow sign on the left says, "Bigfoot got a baby dragon for a pet. I am not happy with what it is eating!"



Quite a bit of time was taken up with working on the new book. I roughed out the layout. It looks like it's going to be two pages longer than the first book.

Where's my blog: If you have been following my blog and want to continue following, I recommend you go here and sign up to follow.

What's on my needles: Um....I may have a WIP somewhere.

What's on my loom: Getting ready to warp for Camping Raggedy Rugs.

What's on my sewing machine: Sweatshirt for Pippa

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. A little more progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: "Hair Today, Curly Next Week? Part One."




What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg. Now listening to The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes by Leonard Goldberg, also on Chirp.

What's in my wine glass: Placer Andaluz Chardonnay 2020.

What's my tip of the week: I like to turn my yarn that comes on cones into center-pull skeins. It's a bit difficult to get the cone out of the yarn. Here's what I do. See where the cone sticks out above the yarn? I turn the yarn over and whack it on the counter a few times, then try to pull the yarn away from the cone and down on the side that's up (the base). I might need to repeat the procedure a couple of times, but eventually, it will come loose. After it's out, I pick a piece of yarn from the hole and pull it out. (I hadn't figured it out when I used the grey cone. I have the working yarn coming out of the wrong end, and it sometimes tangles.)




Where's my book: Mariah: Stories from the Doll's Storybook is available from Amazon worldwide. Also available from BookBabyBarnes & Noble and other booksellers. Royalties go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. The three stories in the book first appeared in the blog and they are reproduced with few changes. The stories (and links to them) are Being LittleBesties, and Distraction.




Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

<a class="blsdk-follow" href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/highfiber-7365001" target="_blank" data-blsdk-type="button" data-blsdk-counter="false">Follow</a><script>(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk"))</script>

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7365001/?claim=kkvctsdtf4n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a> 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Peggy!
    Your rugs have turned out really well, and I love the new garments you made for Pippa, she's a real sweetie pie.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete