Monday, July 20, 2020

One Thing at a Time

The second pattern of the Which Came First Shawl is starting to be apparent. 

It's called "Chicken Feet." It's an entertaining pattern.

I finished a hoop-sized section of the whole-cloth quilt this week. Now I've moved on to another section.


We needed more kimchi. Neither Napa nor Savoy cabbage was available at the store where DH was shopping, so I settled for regular green cabbage. I've found that it works better when using regular cabbage if you cut it up into smaller pieces, as the leaves tend to be thicker than the other two varieties. The big chunks are fine, but I serve it in tiny bowls, so it will last longer, and the big pieces don't fit as well. I have read that the pickling process produces beneficial bacteria, similar to yoghurt. Of course, if you can the pickles, it kills the bacteria, so this kind of pickle has to be kept refrigerated and eaten in a fairly short time, like a week or two. Ours doesn't usually last because we eat it.


I might try pickling red cabbage sometime. 

We aren't planning to fly anywhere, but we get to see planes come in to land at the small airstrip about a block away. I was knitting on the front deck when this one came in to land. I heard the hum of the engine and grabbed my phone.


I read in the local paper that a newcomer to Bend saw this and called 911 because she thought the plane was crash-landing. Depending on the wind direction, they sometimes come in low over our street. 


So do the geese who like to graze on the field a few blocks away. They honk instead of hum.

I had to make a trip to the audiologist because I couldn't hear my audiobook out of one of my hearing aids. I was afraid something was broken or that I had wax in my ear. The technician came out to the parking lot, took both hearing aids into the lab, found that they both had wax in them. While she was cleaning them, the audiologist came out and checked my ears. No wax. When I got my hearing aids back and tested them, they were fine. Everyone wore masks.

The Wisconsin grands have been enjoying their huge swimming pool. However, they have decided that it's more fun to take turns.


This was an interesting study on the efficacy of face masks. You may have heard that a Missouri hairstylist became ill after face masks were required in the salon (for stylists and clients). A few days later a second one became ill. The 139 clients they had served were notified and followed. During the maximum incubation period of two weeks none of the clients became ill, leading to the conclusion that face masks worn by both the persons who had COVID-19 and the uninfected people who were in close contact with them prevented the spread of the virus. This would be good news if we could get everyone to wear masks when they go out.


Our zucchini plants are starting to fruit. They are already a few inches long. Here's Mandy, showing Jolena one of the blossoms, part of this week's story, The Homecoming, in which Jolena comes home from Chile and finds out all the news she missed while she was away.


The YouTube video of our virtual choir performance is now available for viewing. You can see it here, if you like. Not everyone in the choir was available or wanted to participate. I'm hoping for more from the next one.


The new microwave is working out in it's new location. I'm liking it better than the one over the stove (besides that it works).

The pups go to the groomer today and Dusty gets his teeth cleaned on Thursday. Busy week.


What's on my needles: Still the Which Came First Shawl. Some progress.

What's on my sewing machine: I'm not sure what's next for them.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. A little progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: The Homecoming. Jolena comes back from Chile, and the dolls catch up with each other.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Just finished listening to Mary Trump's book, Too Much and Never Enough. It was like a soap opera. Very well written, narrated by the author. I can recommend it. Back to listening to D. E. Stevenson's Mrs. Tim of the Regiment, which I left off listening to because the Trump book had come out.

What's in my wine glass: Pedroncelli Petite Sirah 2017 Sonoma County Dry Creek Valley. Nice!

What's my tip of the week: Does it get hot in your house sometimes in the summer? Have hot flashes? Get a dish towel and dampen it. Wrap it around your neck. Unless your climate is very humid, the moisture in the towel will evaporate and cool your neck. You (if you're human) have big blood vessels that come close to the skin at your neck. The towel will cool these vessels and the blood inside, carrying the cooling effect around in your body. (This is safe.)



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment