Monday, January 13, 2020

New and Continuing Projects

First the new. I picked out these fabrics from my stash to make a victorian doll costume.


I hope to get it made this week, because I need it for Valentine's Day, and January 20th, we get the first clue in the Rose City Yarn Crawl Mystery Knit Along (KAL), so I'm running out of time. It will be a challenge to get it done, as this will be a busy week.

I've made some progress on the Maine Memories Cardigan. The project is past the sleeve division. You can see the steek stitches in the center front. The pattern is for a pullover, but I'm always throwing off my sweater and putting it on again, so it made sense to make this as a cardigan. Now it's just knit straight until the bottom ribbing, then pick up the stitches that are on waste yarn to make each sleeve, which have a colorwork pattern at the wrist.


It was another challenge, because the pattern started in the center back, with short rows in the back, and moving the beginning of round to the middle front meant rewriting the directions.

I managed to use some of the tomatoes I have in the freezer to make jam. I used this recipe. It made about three cups. It isn't anything like the recipe I used to use, but it's tasty and nice on toast or in sandwiches. It's very basic. Next I'm going to try something with honey instead of sugar, with chilis and spices in it. It was easy to get the peels off the frozen tomatoes. The recipe says to squeeze out the juice and seeds, but I left them in, because the tomatoes were still pretty frozen. I just cooked the jam longer to get it thick enough.


Our Kalanchoe plant is starting to bloom. When it's done, I'll prune it, as it's getting a bit leggy, but it's a cheery addition to the house in the dead of winter.


Tuesday we went to another town hall, this one for Jamie McCleod-Skinner, who is running for Oregon Secretary of State. She's the tall lady in the middle of this group photo. She's wearing a mauve shirt under a blazer. The strawberry blonde lady next to her is also running for public office. Her name is Eileen Kiely. She is a candidate for Oregon State Senate. I'm to her right (you may recognize the cardigan) and DH is to my right and slightly behind me. There was another candidate there, Carina Miller, who is Native American and running for another State Senate seat. All three ladies were very impressive in their grasp of facts and ability to handle questions. I hope they all get elected. The room was packed, but we were the only ones brave enough to come up to get a group photo. (Photo by Eric Lint.)


We have a new addition to our family: A Eufy RoboVac35C. We've named her Beatrice, or Bea for short. She's our new cleaning lady. Dusty was a bit dubious at first, but now he just ignores her. Rocky seemed much more curious. He followed her around and let her bump into him. We picked up all the stuff on the floor (rugs, dog toys, etc.) and watched her work. I found she did a better job if I moved the chairs out of the room until she's done. She works until her battery gets low, and then she goes looking for her nest, which is in the kitchen. She docks herself there to sleep until her battery is charged again.


We got some snow on Saturday and Sunday.


During a break in the storm, we took the pups to the wilderness for a run. In this photo, Dusty looks as if he's using his ears as wings to take off from the ground.


It's hard to tell here, but Rocky was running. It was good to see him happily running, because he woke up Friday morning with a stiff neck, and I had to take him to the vet to get checked out. This is the third time in his life he has had this problem, always after some physical activity. It has been several years since the last time. We came home with some Vetprofen, which is an anti-inflammatory medication. Clearly, it worked. The pups and I went out again on Sunday, but it was snowing, so I didn't take any photos.


In other news, our younger son, Peter, who works for Laika, sent us this photo of himself with the Golden Globe Award Laika won for Best Animated Feature for Missing Link. I take it that each person who worked on the film was allowed to have his/her photo taken with the Award. (He is standing in front of one of the sets for the film. It's one we saw when we visited the studio.)


Our DDIL2 snapped this photo of their niece, Elsie, who is my honorary granddaughter. She's growing up fast.


This will be a busy week for us, because we're having our cabinets painted. They will paint all the cabinets in the kitchen and all three bathrooms, so we will need to empty all the cabinets and countertops. They expect them to start on Wednesday. The color below on the left is pretty close to our wall color throughout most of the house. The grey color on the right is the color we plan to use on the cabinets. Our grant countertops have this grey in them, along with the wall color, and black and white.


We'll move out for about three days while the painting is done. Apparently it's a very smelly process.


What's on my needles: The Maine Memories Cardigan (see above).

What's on my sewing machine: A Victorian costume for Jolena.

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt. Another week with no progress.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: "Writing Differently." Emil finds Mariah and Charlotte learning to write Arabic and Hebrew. They explain to him how the languages are written from right to left, and the letters are completely different.



What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still Blowout by Rachel Maddow. Not much progress this week.

What's in my wine glass: Apothic Red Winemaker's Blend, 2017, one of my favorites. 

What's my tip of the week: Keep a 1-cup or larger jar with a lid handy for when you need to peel a boiled egg. Fill it half full with water, drop the egg in and close the lid. Shake the jar up and down and back and forth until you can see that the shell is nicely cracked. Take the egg out of the water and peel. It will be easy! (Don't try this with a raw egg.)



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment