Monday, June 17, 2019

Quilting Fun!

Quilting! 


My quilting buddies from Vintage Stitchers surprised me (and the others who have moved away) with emailed photos from their last meeting. (Sorry about the resolution, but I think you will get the idea.)

They met at Janet's. This quilt is Carol's work, as you can see. 



This is one of Marilyn's.




I knew it was hers before I saw her smiling face.



I didn't receive an explanation of this project, but it appears to be a small carry bag of some kind. Again, Marilyn's palette is identifiable.




I'm pretty sure this is wool appliqué. Janet was really into the technique before I moved away, and it looks like it.




I'm guessing these are the blocks finished so far.





It looks like Barbara is working on another marvelous appliqué quilt. (I don't know how she finds time to do all the gardening she does and still have time for hand appliqué.)



I miss my Park City friends, but the snow has been gone from Bend for some time and won't return again until late fall. We would normally still have snow on the ground at our old home in Summit Park, and could get more this month...possibly July or August, too.

I have the sewing area in my fiber studio set up nicely now with an office chair and my Arrow Mod Squad Sewing Cabinet both on a large plastic mat. I can roll around on my chair, and the sewing cabinet opens and closes easily, so much better now than when it was sitting directly on the carpet. It made it easier to sew this doll dress, a test-sew for a friend who was publishing the pattern. (It has an option for a paneled skirt, fun for people who also enjoy quilting.) The pattern is now available here, and it includes a cute cardigan to go with the dress, which I hope to make for Mandy.



I made Mariah a skirt to go with the cardigan I'm knitting for her. 



It's my own pattern, except there's no pattern, just directions. The pieces are rectangles cut using rotary-cutting tools. It's available online in blog form here. I had to piece the skirt, because I only had a fat quarter, and the skirt rectangle is 35" long. I hid the seams in the pleats. It can be made with 1/4 yard of fabric, but the yoke on the bias is easier if you have a 1/3 yard piece. The yoke can be cut on the crosswise straight-of-grain, easily from 1/4 yard. Mariah's lovely shoes are from FairyTaleLOVEit on Etsy, a woman in the Ukraine. They are expensive, but you can save on shipping if you buy several pairs, and finding shoes long enough for these dolls is challenging. They are beautifully made.

I finished the sweater on Saturday, so here's the whole outfit:


It's my design. I still have some things to do to the pattern, and then I can make it available on Ravelry. I'm thinking of including the directions for the skirt, as well.

Here is a nice pine tree and some wildflowers from our walk on Friday through a sort of wilderness area across the Larkspur Trail from our house. The tree on the right in the background is a juniper, which is the most common tree here. We are in the midst of the largest forest of juniper occidentalis in the world. I don't know what kind of wildflowers these are, but they're pretty.



We have been trying to walk or hike with the dogs an average of a mile a day, using the Walk for a Dog app from Wooftrax. The app keeps track of our mileage and gives us a nice little map of where we went. You get to choose a dog-related charity and your mileage goes into a pool of walks from other people walking for that charity. The charity receives a donation based on how many miles were walked using the app by the people in your pool. It's supported by advertising. We're walking for Best Friends Animal Society.

Saturday we went to find the Good Dog Trail, which is in the Deschutes National Forest, just about 15 minutes from our house. From the parking lot, you go left (or NE) for off-leash, or right (or SW) for leashed. (We chose off-leash.) A recreational pass is required, but I found out from the Forest Service that our Golden Age Passports will suffice. That means we can go there for just the cost of the gas.



The trail partly follows the Deschutes River, and there are places where dogs can go into the water. River water is tastier than what's in my water bottle, so they drank as much of it as they could hold. (Ammunition for leaving little notices for other dogs along the trail.)



Dusty did a lot of running around every time we came across another dog willing to play. Rocky did some running, too. Toward the end of the hike, they pretty much followed Daddy.


It was a fun day.


What's on my needles: A cardigan to go with Mandy's new dress.

What's on my sewing machine: Clothes for Billy and Emil (coming sometime in August or later).

What's in my hoop: Still the Whole Cloth Quilt.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: "A Field Trip to the Dentist's Office." Billy and Jolena visit the dentist to find out how children need to care for their teeth. This is important, because the dolls don't actually have teeth. Next week, Billy will encounter a new challenge.

What's on my iPad/iPhone:  Still listening to A Song Unheard by Roseanna M. White.

What's in my wine glass: Reserva Especial 120 "Hero's Salute" Red Blend from Chile. It's 45% Carmenere, 30% Carbernet Franc and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon. I preferred it the second day, which was surprising for a wine. I guess it needed some siesta time after opening.

What's my tip of the week: During the summer months, I don't like to keep the oven on to keep food hot after it's cooked, so I put it into an ice chest lined with old towels. It will stay hot for a long time that way. (No ice, of course.) I lay the ice chest on its side on the counter, so it's easier to put a casserole in and take it out. Even if I have to carry the casserole to a potluck or party, I just keep it on its side for the trip and caution the host not to turn it back up.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment