Monday, November 5, 2018

What Next?

My big misadventure for this week involved my purchase of my new iron, a Chi Professional Clothing Iron with a titanium-infused ceramic soleplate.




So here's what happened. Thursday evening, we had a neighborhood association meeting, our first since coming here. It was at the senior center, so close we could walk, so we took a flashlight and walked. It was cool, and I thought I should wear my jacket, but I didn't want to take my big purse, because we were walking. I took my wallet, though, putting it into the inner pocket of my jacket. When we came back, we needed to eat, and I didn't think of the wallet in my jacket until I was at Walmart the next day, trying to check out with a big load of things...with my purse and no wallet! I had my checkbook, my passport and a copy of my expired Utah driver's license in my phone, leftover from our trip to Europe in 2015 (in case of pickpockets). I also had been planning to use a nice gift card I had for part of the purchase (the iron). I had forgotten that I had to activate it online, and didn't have any luck trying to activate it on my phone. (Don't you hate those "Captcha" puzzles?) I decided to try to pay by check for the whole lot.

I have to say, they (Walmart) tried everything they could to accommodate me, but in the end, I had to go home and get my credit card and ID. While there, I logged on to the gift card website and activated my card. Whew! When I got back to Walmart, I had to go to Customer Service to get my cart full of stuff, which had already been rung up. There was a line at Customer Service all the way back to the door. It took half an hour to get up to the front of the line. They happily took my gift card, which I used to pay for my new iron, but told me I had to put in my pin. I had forgotten about that. I was very thankful to find it in my purse with the packaging that the card came in. (A reward for being the kind of person who puts trash into her purse, rather than dropping it anywhere.) I took my purchases and headed back out again. I went home and collapsed on the couch. (The number of the check I had tried to use was 666.) I have to chalk it up to lack of sleep. Or could it be....

Billy is in transit. I didn't have too many boys' clothes among my stash of doll clothes, but I did have a couple of pairs of brand-new pants from the seconds at Silly Monkey. They were only seconds because they had accidentally been made too slim for American Girl and American Boy dolls, but they fit Gotz Happy Kidz just fine and were nicely made. I had a grey-and-white striped T-shirt, too, and some sneakers and soccer shoes, although the girls had worn the T-shirt and shoes. (I won't tell Billy if you don't.) I ordered a soccer uniform and a red T-shirt from Luvvbugg. Now I have this for Billy:



I also finished the cardigan for Billy.



It's part of a set, and I'm working on the hat now. It's Jacknitss Comfy Cardigan Set. I really like her patterns, although when I make this again, I will knit the sleeves in the round. You knit the sleeves first, then the body up to where the sleeves join the body, then you put the sleeves in and continue. The first few rows with the sleeves are a little fiddly and tight, even with the underarm sleeve seams open, but I use two circulars at that point with the front of the body and front half of the sleeves on one circular needle and the back of the body and back half of the sleeves on the other.

I will need to make Billy more clothes, or the readers of The Doll's Storybook will notice that he's always wearing the same clothes. I found this pattern during my ill-fated trip to Walmart. It has just about everything I need for Billy, plus a dress and a skating costume I think Billy would not want to wear. It even has slippers and a backpack. The doll on the envelope is a little slimmer than American Girl dolls and maybe slightly more pudgy than the Gotz Happy Kidz, but I think I can get it to work.




The story for last week was about planting bulbs. Here's a photo "teaser." The link is below, or you can go to thedollsstorybook.blogspot.com and read them all. The latest is always the first one to come up.




This week's story is about Charlotte's birthday, which was Saturday. It was a lot of work to set up, but I was happy with the result. It comes out on Friday.

The Wisconsin grands got all the dolls together for a photo of the day before the first day of pre-school. They are mostly familiar faces and familiar outfits, too. Their dad sent me the photo by text. 




I did make some progress in my fiber studio. The closet is better organized than it was, but not very pretty, and I managed to get all my fiber-related books put away in this bookcase.



That pile of white pieces to the right of the bookcase is my sewing table from Connecting Threads. It's the Arrow Mod Squad Sewing Cabinet. It isn't put together yet. This week sort of got away from us, with several non-life-threatening health problems sending us on the search for a new doctor, whom we found and will see today. I'm hoping to get the loom put together this week.

In poodle news, Dusty has learned to let me have the ball back after he has fetched it. Usually he just tries to get me to get it from him. Now I can still wear him out when I can't get out for a walk. I do wish he would learn to use the dog door. Rocky has demonstrated repeatedly, but Dusty just wants us to open the human door and let him in or out.

We're still waiting for a plumber to hook up our washer and dryer. We're still missing 2,500 lbs of household goods. I could give you a list of items we have part of but can't use alone. Billy will probably arrive before our stuff.

Be sure to vote, if you haven't already!


What's on my needles: The hat for Billy, part of the Comfy Cardigan Set.

What's on my Sparrow 15: Still sitting in my future sewing room.

What's in my hoop: Still the Spring Flowers quilt, no progress this week.

What's in The Doll's Storybook: Planting bulbs. This week's story will be about Charlotte's birthday. I'm scheduling for the next week now. 

What's on my iPad/iPhone: The Ladies of Ivy Cottage by Julie Klassen. I've made some progress with the story.

What's in my wine glass: A really nice wine, Charles Shaw 2017 California Cabernet Sauvignon made with organic grapes. Very nice value, and better for the environment.

What's my tip of the week: When you buy produce with stickers on the individual pieces of fruit and vegetables, take the stickers off as soon as you get back to your kitchen, unless you are going to peel them. After sitting in the refrigerator, they become soft and the paper melts, making it difficult to remove.



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals or dolls were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment