Monday, October 16, 2017

Think Pink

Monday was a holiday, so we took the pups to Run-A-Muk Dog Park, so they could have a good run.



This is "Think Pink" time. Various groups on Ravelry are running activities to support breast-cancer awareness. The Götz group has had a different theme for each day, October 11-20. Here's what I've done so far. Each day is listed, with what I wrote about each one.

Wednesday's Theme--Favorite pink possession:

We just got back from the local "Walk To End Breast Cancer," but I got this photo at the top of the bleachers in the gym right before the event began.




They were giving each participant a "Think Pink" water bottle. Can you guess what their favorite pink possession is now? Hint: it’s the same for all four.
Dolly had to dash off to get in line. (She was the rest room putting up her hair when the others were signing in. She just stuck her head in now to be in the photo.)
It’s impossible to get four girls to look at the camera at the same time and not blink. I took a bunch of photos, and this was the best. Vroni just glanced away as I snapped the shutter. There was probably a cute boy walking by. Either that or a dog.

Thursday's Theme--Post your doll saying hi from your part of the world, wearing pink mittens or a ribbon for Breast Cancer Awareness, or the appropriate color if you choose to support a different cancer on this day:

Vroni and Mandy wanted to honor their two aunties today. Vroni is wearing a magenta ribbon for Auntie Eileen, (although the Götz girls always wear their magenta bracelets) but the best Mandy could do was wear teal pants for Auntie Cheryl, the mother of Amanda, after whom Mandy was named. However, Mandy thought that pink mittens were a great idea, so she CO a pair. Winter is coming.... 



Mandy has to sit, because she has only just learned to knit with DPNs. 
She made me take another photo because she said that one looks like she’s just holding yarn. 



Friday's Theme--Hair Loss is common with chemo. Post a photo of your doll wearing pink headgear:

My girls had a little fun/discussion over today’s task. Here’s what ensued—

Mandy: "I made a pink hat."





Vroni: "That’s a boat, not a hat! THIS is a hat!"



Mandy: "Well, at least mine is pink!"

Vroni: "Well, mine is pretty, and it has pink on it."

Me: "Girls, girls! They’re both great. Vroni's hat is very pretty, and Mandy's hat is fun—and handy in case of a flood."


Saturday's Theme--Invited to a dance wearing pink:

October is known for Think Pink and Halloween, but it's also time for...Oktoberfest! Vroni was invited to come to Oktoberfest and dance the polka with some other girls and boys.

When it was time to get ready, she dressed, put on her dancing shoes and checked herself out in the mirror.



She even did a few dance moves to make sure her costume looked OK in motion.



Vroni's new coat and hat were ready just in time for this occasion. Of course, she had to look in the mirror again, just to make sure everything looked OK.



It was just a short walk through the woods to get to the hall where the Oktoberfest is held each year.



The children's performance went well, and Vroni loves to dance, but this is what she really came for.



Even though Vroni was born in China, she is German, and she has been allowed small amounts of beer since she was very small. (Actually, she's still small....)


Sunday's Theme--What does your doll like to do best on Sunday:

Mandy came home from church. She says her Sunday School teacher asked each of them to think of something they could do today for someone who was in need. Mandy decided that since Dolly has a cold (she got it from me, I think), she could read to her in bed to try to make her feel better.



After Dolly fell asleep, Mandy came out to the kitchen to work on the mittens she has been knitting. She has only just started learning to use DPNs, and she's so excited. She loves knitting, especially when the weather is too unpleasant to play outdoors.



Mandy sat where she could use the light from the big window and watch the squirrels while she knitted. She is so sad that Dolly isn't feeling well, so she has decided that she will give the mittens to Dolly, to keep her hands warm when they play in the snow. (Pink is Dolly's favorite color.) 



Mandy has already made some progress on the first mitten. She says her favorite thing to do on a Sunday is to do something nice for someone else. She will try this every Sunday from now on.



Monday's Theme--Hot or cold? What would you wear when you exercise where you are?:

This morning, while Dolly was asleep, Mandy crept into the bedroom and put the finished mittens on Dolly’s hands. 



Dolly woke up and saw the mittens. She is feeling better today, although she still looks pale.




Dolly loves her new mittens. She hopes there is still some snow when she’s well enough to go outside and play.


There are four more days of photos to take and stories to make up.

Obviously, I finished the Tyrolean coat, using the Kitty Cat 3 pattern, a hooded cape in two lengths (only I shortened it further), as a jumping-off place for the coat. The coat pattern was Jacknits Town and Country Coat, which included the hat. 

Here's the coat with the hood up.



And here is the hat.


I had planned to go to Vintage Stitchers on Thursday. It met at Rebecca's. However, I woke up with a cold that morning. (Don't blame Dolly. I probably gave it to her.) I have no doubt I will recover in due course. I missed the opera yesterday, which made me sad, but I knew I wouldn't enjoy it, trying not to cough and knowing I was sharing my germs with everyone. DH went and said it was excellent. It was La Boheme. You know, the one where Mimi spends a good part of the opera in bed, dying of consumption.

I was doing my best Mimi impersonation, but without the singing. Or the dying


What's on my needles: Mandy’s Winter Coat, using the Cabbagetown Jacket pattern

What's on my Featherweight: There are still more doll clothes to be made.

What's on my loom: Still waiting.

What's on my wheel: Stanzi is still awaiting her next task. 

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Kill Me Again, by Rachel Abbott. I’m a little more than halfway through Amy Corwin’s novel All She Loves on the Kindle app.

What's in my wine glass: Lindeman’s Cawarra Shiraz-Cabernet. Quite acceptable.

What's my tip of the week: Don't get sick. If you do, stay home so you don't share.



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

2 comments:

  1. It makes me sad that people don't show as much enthusiasm for Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing people don't know about it. When is it? I'll try to get something started on Ravelry. The person who organized this event had breast cancer. Pediatric cancer is of special interest to me, because I have visited Camp Hobé with Therapy Animals of Utah. Camp Hobé is a camp that runs every year for children who either have cancer or have a family member with cancer.

    ReplyDelete