Monday, July 24, 2017

Expressions in Vinyl?

I had Vroni standing next to my computer a while back. I looked up and saw this.



I could have sworn she was puckered up, ready for a kiss. It was startling. I had finished sewing an outfit and tried it on her. I took some photos and then just stood her there. When I saw this, I started looking at other photos I had taken of the dolls and seeing them in a new light.

Some of the photos don't say anything to me about what the doll might be "thinking" or "feeling," but other photos give me a clear impression.

Just to make this into a game, what emotion or feeling would you give to the following photos of these dolls?  (My answers are at the bottom of the page, so don't scroll down until you've decided on your impressions.) Each photo is numbered.


1.




2.



3.


4.


5. 




6.


7.





8.


9.


10.


11.



Note: There are no wrong answers. We all see different things in people's body language, and these are dolls, so their features are fixed. Maybe I'm reading something into their expression(s), but I suspect the artists who designed these dolls did this on purpose, and I'm in awe of them. I'm so glad I noticed this effect.

There's probably a scientific explanation. I'm guessing it depends on the direction of the light and the angle from which we view the face.

Before you scroll down to find out what I saw in their expressions, Here's a photo of Carter in his new French Back-to-school Cardigan.


In case you've missed my discussion of Carter and his purpose, I want to say that he's a My Sibling/ My Pal doll. He's a guy with a mission, first because he was dressed and groomed in a workshop for disabled young people and adults, and second because he will be part of Habitat for Humanity's silent auction at the Overall Ball in Park City in September. Carter is the namesake of President Jimmy Carter, who has been active in Habitat for Humanity for many years. They both remind us to stay hydrated.

Watch for more clothes for Carter. He will need pajamas, play clothes, dressy clothes, and something to wear in the snow when it gets cold. In September, he and his wardrobe will go to his forever home.

A reminder: There are no right/wrong answers. We all see things in the light of our own experiences. I'm no expert in nonverbal communication, and even if I were, you may have different answers. It will be fun to see which ones we view differently. (But go back and give Vroni a kiss. She's been waiting for it.)

1. Awe, wonder, almost in a religious sense
2. Sensing a bad smell, as in "Ew!"
3. Impish
4. Compassion
5. Expectant
6. Sad, tearful (I don't know about you, but I can almost see her lower lip quiver.)
7. Surprised
8. Curious smile
9. Impish smile, almost smug
10. Happy
11. Attentive

Another note: I'm off camping with the grandkids this week. Watch for my regular blog post next week with some photos from our camping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment