Monday, June 26, 2017

There's No Place Like Home...Wherever That Is

Shortly after we left Oregon, DDIL2 took photos of the Kaleidoscope quilt.





What a joy to see it photographed with the quilting showing up so well!

After leaving Bend, we stopped overnight in Winnemucca, at the KOA, where we could count on having hookups so we could clean our little home and an off-leash enclosure for the pups, so Dusty could run.


I finished the snood, lace collar and mitts for the steampunk costume (more on that later), so with no knitting to do, I CO the French Back-to-school Cardigan for Matty (Johan's birthday present), who has arrived in Oregon as of this writing. It's a quick project, and I've done it a few times before. Carter is my model.


It took a couple of days, because I was busy cleaning the fifth wheel, then the house bathrooms and kitchen, as I awaited the appointed time to take the trailer back to its storage spot.

DH wanted more of the Tofu Chocolate Pudding I took on the trip.



It's so easy. Just put in the blender: 1 pkg silken tofu, 3/4 C cocoa powder, 1/4 C honey and 1/3 C milk (dairy or nondairy, skim OK). Blend until smooth and pour either into individual cups or a refrigerator container and chill at least 15 minutes. It will keep several days.

I also made some French bread. It's funny how not cooking for a couple of weeks can make me want to cook. I had to try out the olive oil and fig vinegar we bought at the last place we did wine-tasting.


I had made a bean/vegetable stew to go with the French bread. Gotta love slow-cookers when it's hot.

OK, finally to the steampunk costume for Mandy. (It will go on to Daphne's dolls at Christmas. Hope she likes steampunk.)



Mandy was glad to get some use out of her hat.


Mandy (a.k.a. Amanda Katherine von Götz, PhD) is in her lab, preparing for a lecture at the Royal Society of Engineers. Goggles are a must when working in the lab, to protect your eyes from chemicals and accidental dangerous projectiles. Even that test tube could explode at any moment.


Mandy found out that SCUBA masks could be made with your vision prescription built in, so she had her lab goggles made that way. That saves eye strain.



At the meeting, she will explain her discovery of a chemical reaction that will create steam without harming the environment or resorting to petrochemicals, because that’s what steampunk is all about. She says. She also says girls can be anything they want to be when they grow up.



She likes the human-size cork board in her lab, because she can find her notes easily.



Mandy had to go on vacation with us so she would be available for fittings. She's a great traveler. I never once heard her ask if we were there yet.

Details for the petticoat, corset, Braemar jacket and goggles are in the project notes on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/PeggyStuart/three-steps-2. Everything else was improvised.

I think I need to go take a nap/


What's on my needles: Finished the the steampunk costume and a cardigan for Matty.

What's on my Featherweight:
 Put away for now.

What's on my loom: Still waiting, but dreaming about new digs. Like this maybe?




What's on my wheel: Stanzi also still waiting.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Jodi Taylor’s A Symphony of Echoes again, with DH as we traveled. Then started Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America by Firoozeh Dumas. I'm listening to Fortune's Food: Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms by Mercedes Lackey. Sounds interesting so far. On the Kindle app, still reading Undeniable by Laura Stapleton.

What's in my wine glass: Kirkland Cabernet Souvignon 2015 vintage…ooooh! Now how did we get that? Utah Costco can’t sell “liquor.” (But is wine really “liquor?”)

What's my tip of the week: It’s easy to cook presoaked beans in the slow cooker, but at higher elevations it can take a lot longer than expected. Add some kombu seawead to the slow cooker (about 2-3 inches), and it will go faster. At any elevation.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment