Monday, October 17, 2016

Colds, Cones and Cardis

First the cardi:



If you're interested, you can read about how I adapted a great Argyle pattern to Fair Isle here. That's the Ravelry page for the project. It has links to the pattern for the cardigan and the skirt, and to the yarn used. Hannah seems to enjoy wearing the new cardigan, so I think she's happy with it.



Here's a view of the back.


Here's a better look at the skirt, which I finished earlier in the week, when the weather was nice.


Now to the cone. In family life, Dusty had his "reconstructive surgery" on Monday. (The one that made certain he wouldn't chase the girls.) Unfortunately, the little rascal showed too much interest in his incision, so he came home with "The Cone of Shame." By Friday, he had figured out how to reach his incision in spite of the cone, doing an imitation of a pill bug, but whenever we took the cone off for him to eat or go for a walk, he left it alone, so we left it off after that. No more problems.


Finally, the cold: At the same time as I was dealing with Dusty's recuperation, DH came down with a raging cold. He had been at the Farmers' Market running the voter registration booth, when a sleet storm hit. A couple of days later, he got his flu shot. By the time he got home from getting his shot, he realized he was getting sick. He spent several nights coughing, so I didn't get much sleep, either. He's better now, though. I just hope I don't get it.

I wish I could have gotten a photo of Dusty's face when he saw this neighborhood visitor on Wednesday. She had a youngster with her, but the young one was camera shy.


We got more snow this morning. Dusty thought "ho-hum." He's used to it now.


I missed Vintage Stitchers this week because I was looking after family members and was exhausted anyway. I'll try to go next time.

Sunday afternoon we went to see Carmen at Utah Opera. As expected, Carmen met with a well deserved death. As always, it was a great production, and it was fun to see two of the young people who sing with us at church on special occasions performing in the chorus.

What's on my needles: The “So-not-my-palette Cardigan” second sleeve is still on hold, but I'm ready to start a sweater vest for Buddy. 

What's on my Featherweight: Shirts for Buddy and Dude.

What's on my wheel: Still put away for now.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Still listening to music for Park City Singers. On my Kindle app, I'm still reading Corinna: A Sweet & Clean Historical Romance by Lauren Royal.

What's in my wine glass: Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel. Not bad. The nice thing about the box is that if you don't finish the whole thing in a day or two, it still tastes good until the end.

What's my tip of the week: When counting rows of ribbing, I find it easiest to count the purl bumps than the K stitches. In this case, I have five rows of ribbing, and there are five purl bumps. The first row of green was straight knit, so the bottom stitch isn't actually ribbing, even though it looks like it. Normally when you count rows, you count the stitch on the needle, too, so that would give you six. I find that confusing. This works better for me.



Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment