Monday, September 5, 2016

Family Members

Most of my week was devoted to puppies and knitting. I finished the first sleeve of my “So-not-my-palette” Cardigan.



I cast on the first cardigan for the My Sibling twins on Thursday at Common Threads and finished it Saturday.


The dolls are identical, but not all their clothes will be the same. They’re going to be separated at Christmastime. (They will be living with four-year-old cousins and can still stay in touch using FaceTime.)

Hannah, The Götz doll, arrived from Germany by way of Amsterdam this week. (They're out-of-stock in the US.) She already is friends with her foster sisters, Gabi and Dolly... 


...as well as with the twins. Here she is showing Buddy around the school grounds.



I will be knitting for Hannah as well as the twins, and will be sewing for all of them and Daphne Jr. for Christmas. I've started on a back-to-school dress for Hannah using this pattern.

The puppy (mis)adventures continue. Dusty received his first Lepto and rabies shots on Tuesday. He tipped the scales at 12.4 lbs, well over twice what he was when we picked him up on July 1st and almost half what Rocky weighs. The next day, the pups went to the “spa” and had the full treatment. They looked incredibly cute when I picked them up.



You can really start to see the grey on Dusty's face and legs now.

All of that was pleasant. Then Thursday afternoon we decided to go for a walk with the dogs. We got a couple of blocks from our home when Rocky got a little too close to one of our native grasses and inhaled a foxtail. I call the vet, who said to bring him right in. She had to flush his sinuses, and for that she had to knock him out. Since he never needs dental cleaning since we have been brushing his teeth every night, I thought this was a good time to get his adenomas removed (benign sebaceous tumors). They interfere with grooming and can grow to be large enough to attract the dog’s attention, thus becoming a problem. He had three: two on the back of his head and one on his side.



He will have more, but at least these are gone. The Little Dude has been no trouble this week. He seems to be growing up (i.e. maturing) before our eyes. He is able to stay on the deck or in the backyard alone or with Rocky without getting upset or in trouble. While he has peed on the back deck a few times, we haven’t had any “accidents” in the house for a couple of weeks. He prefers to go out in back to do his business, or in front on the leash. He has stopped biting me, although he still gives DH a bite every once in a while. We’re working on that. We’ve also worked every day on “leave it,” given his history, the most important lesson. He knows not to chew our shoes, although I wouldn’t trust him out of my sight yet, and he digs in the backyard, something we probably will never be able to prevent, since it's full of small critters, and most poodles still think they're hunting dogs. 

The biggest news, however, is that we have turned DGD1 loose on the world. She has moved out of our house and back to California. She can only do what she wants to do in California (unless she went to the other coast): fashion photography. She has started her old photography business up again, and we feel comfortable about letting her go. She learned some important life lessons while she was with us. We think it was worth the investment. She’s also very appreciative, which is nice.

Fall comes early to the mountains of Utah. Here’s a look at our view out the front window.



What's on my needles: The “So-not-my-palette Cardigan” now on the second sleeve. Hannah’s back-to-school dress.
What's on my Featherweight: Getting ready to sew doll clothes.
What's on my wheel: Put away for now.
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Ashes of Roses by Christine Pope from Audible. Also finished Ella: An Everland Ever After Tale by Caroline Lee on the Kindle app. Both are Cinderella stories. (I liked the Kindle one better.) Then I listened to Jodi Taylor’s What Could Possibly Go Wrong?, the continuation of the Chronicles of St. Mary’s. I have enjoyed every book in the series so far. Now listening to A Posse of Princesses by Sherwood Smith. Written for young people, but an interesting story so far. On my Kindle app, I have Corinna: A Sweet & Clean Historical Romance by Lauren Royal. (Yes, it really is called that. It had better live up to its billing.) 
What's in my wine glass: Frontera Carmenere by Concha y Toro, vintage 2014. Nice.
What's my tip of the week: If you plan to keep your smart phone or tablet longer than two or three years, it’s better not to leave it plugged in overnight unless you have to. The battery will wear out faster if it’s fully charged and continues to receive a charge. That’s because it has some kind of gizmo (technical term) that keeps the battery from overcharging. (I wish they had that gizmo in stores and service offices.) If it’s continually working, it wears out. You don’t need to wait until the battery runs down completely to plug it in, but just watch it and let it charge only until 100%, then unplug. If you’re among the majority of people who switch out their device every two years (the average time), you don’t need to worry about it. I keep my old iPhone 4S as an extra iPod and as a phone in the house if my new iPhone is in a different room, so it’s nice the battery is still good.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment