Monday, April 25, 2016

Spinning in the RAK

We had a spin-in this past week in The Frog Prince and his Knitting Community Orphans.


That was the first bobbin. I’m close to finishing the second one. I’ll try to remember to post a photo of the two together, plied when I reach that stage. The spinning fiber is Knit Picks Full Circle in "Fawn."
Life got in the way, as sometimes usually happens, so I didn’t get as much done as I had planned, especially because we were getting ready for the convention and the commute to it in Salt Lake City, as well as getting the dogs ready to be boarded at Camp Barkalot in Salt Lake City overnight.
I also spent a few hours this week selecting recipes from our "Rather Spin than Cook" thread on the Knitting Community, which is going away May 1st, and moving them to the new thread of the same name on The Frog Prince and his Knitting Community Orphans forum on Ravelry. Often there were photos included. (What's a recipe without a photo?) This new thread is for quick, easy recipes, to save you time not just for spinning, but for knitting, crocheting, quilting, weaving and dyeing.
Made some progress on the Vicenza Lace Shawl at the convention.


The yarn is Knit Picks Hawthorn in “Lovejoy.” Nice to work with. I think I might have some left over. Someone at the convention asked to take a photo of my new knitting bag, which contained my shawl project (Remember from last week, when I got RAK'd the first time?)


When we got home Friday, I found out that I had been “RAK’d” again.

Lucky me. What a surprise! I received some lovely Waimea Rooster, already an object of much admiration by me; spinning fiber (Merino/Tencel blend, the colorful one); some Teal Carded Targhee/Polypay and some Dark Teal Carded CVM/Romeldale: a coloring book and pencils; some lovely tea and some scissors I will never lose because they have a magnetic holder. Grapes! How appropriate (see above knitting bag)! Thank you, Christina Rowell/AlohaBlu!
I missed the quilt guild meeting because we had an impromptu soprano sectional for Beethoven’s Ninth, but here are a couple of quilts from long ago to show you quilters just to keep you reading my blog. This was an antique quilt my friend Tina Lewis restored, called Broken Dishes:


Here's another one, a Log Cabin:


I was hoping to be able to spin on the front deck during the week. I made a valiant effort, but when it was nice (60° in the sun) it was so breezy I was afraid I was going to lose my roving. 
DH said it was the front moving in. Front? What front? It was supposed to rain and then snow! Well, it did, and then was cold (48° max in the sun) through Sunday. Just when our daffodils were coming up. When we picked up the pups in Salt Lake City (about 2,000' lower elevation and much warmer), the person in charge at Camp Barkalot said that Rocky and Sunny had spent a lot of time outdoors, even standing in the rain. Spring! And then they had to come home...to winter.

What's on my needles: Still hand-quilting the “Delectable Pathways” quilt. Working on the the Vicenza Lace Shawl. Still have Aran sweater for Daphne Jr. and socks on needles.
What's on my Featherweight: Ready to start on Dolly’s Regency outfit when I get a chance.
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Listing to the Beethoven’s Ninth choral practice recording is cutting into my audiobook time. I have downloaded a new audiobook, but I couldn't even tell you what it is. Still reading A Love That Never Tires by Allyson Jeleyne on the Kindle app. Good thing it never tires.
What's in my wine glass: Bohemian Highway Merlot. Described as a casual, free-flowing spirit. Sometimes I can manage that.
What's my tip of the week: Of course, you know to run the garbage disposal whenever you put something in it, but do you have family members who forget to do this? You know the type: they come in to make a sandwich, sweep bits of this and that off the counter and into the sink, and then walk off with their sandwich. (Crumbs in the sink are a giveaway.) If you don’t need to run the garbage disposal yourself in the process of meal preparation, it can sit there and take on a life of its own. You know what I mean. I run mine every morning as one of my morning chores. There’s always something in it.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment