Monday, February 22, 2016

The Pitter-patter of Little Patterns

I’ve published a pattern on Ravelry, the first I’ve actually uploaded myself.


It’s for a doll, hence the “little.” Here’s the back:


It took me longer to write the pattern and post it on Ravelry than it took to knit.
This was my prototype, which I knit flat except for the sleeves:


I realized after finishing the skirt that the sleeves needed to be finished before joining the body, if knitted flat. This is the back, showing why I decided to do my second one in the round.


The self-striping works out well in the round, but the seam is very obvious when knit flat. The pattern now has directions for knitting in the round (using your method of choice: dpns, two circulars or magic loop) and flat. Although I have written directions for knitting the whole project with straight needles, I have only knit the sleeves in the round. I guess I should try knitting the sleeves according to my directions to make sure they work out. Now I’m working on a knitted jacket to go with each dress. I’ll probably publish the pattern when I get done, now that I sort of know how to do it.
Common Threads met on Thursday at Karan’s. Lynda is working on a Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ) for a friend’s baby.


Lynda is an experienced knitter, but she keeps remarking on how weird the BSJ is. Karan is making a scarf using cotton yarns in Easter colors.


The pattern is from from Vogue Knitting, Winter 2013/2014, the cover pattern.
Friday night we went to the ballet. Free tickets. Free tickets to the ballet is like a free kitten. You have to consider the additional expenses: gas, dinner out, parking, etc. Still, like a free kitten, the expense has its rewards.


Of course, no week would be quite complete without a trip to the emergency room. DGD1 dropped her hair dryer on her foot, ripping a gash in her little toe, requiring four stitches. Good news: I have my car back. Bad news: We have to drive her to work and pick her up.

What's on my needles:  Jacket to go with the dress. The Trickle Socks, waiting.
What's on my Featherweight: Still doll socks, tights and undies. Will start on Regency outfit for Dolly soon. (I know: promises, promises!)
What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Watcher by Jo Robertson, a crime novel, another Audible “Deal of the Day.” Then read The Curiosity Keeper by Sarah Ladd. Now Listening to The Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen. Still reading A View to Die For by Richard Houston on the Kindle app.
What's in my wine glass: Glen Ellen 2013 Merlot. Nice.
What's my tip of the week: Wear shoes while you're drying your hair.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment