Monday, June 29, 2015

Packing It In

I've been trying to finish projects I'll need for the trip we're taking next week, like the Navy iPad Tote Bag. 



I've put a small hole in the side, right below the top stripe, to plug in my earbuds, so I can walk around with my iPad while I'm listening to music or an audiobook. I added lining to this one. It has pockets for the power cord and plug, and the earbuds can go in there when not in use. The logo is needle-felted.

For the lining, I used a fat quarter from my stash. I cut it big enough to allow for a seam all the way around, then cut the leftover piece so the edges were even, to make the pocket. I sewed the pocket, right-sides together, all the way around leaving a small opening to turn the pocket right-side out. Then I sewed it to the larger piece, about where I wanted it,l eaving the top open. I added another seam vertically down the middle,not divide the pocket in two. Next I sewed the lining, right-sides together, leaving the top edge and a few inches of one seam open, then pressed the seams and the open edge folded over. I started sewing the lining in by hand right where the hole was, to make sure the hole wasn't obstructed, then continued around the top, using an appliqué stitch and leaving a little bit of the top edge exposed.



My pattern is here.

I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky in Navy and Bare, along with some of the Wool of the Andes Worsted in Blue Ink I had left over from the iPhone cozy, but held double.

The weather has been nice here: sunny, 80° and perfect for dyeing using the sun-tea method. I did some dyeing, and you will be able to read about it in my July 13 post. However, the lace-weight yarn I dyed with Kool-Aid and food coloring called to me, and I succumbed to temptation. (Who wouldn't have?) I CO another lace shawl, this time Enzian, another free Ravelry download.



You'll be happy to know I finished a few rows before pouring myself a glass of wine. The shawl is moving along nicely. I've named it The Coral Reef, because of the color. (On my monitor, the top photo seems a more realistic color. The photo below is a little too pink.)


I'm also still working on Shaina's Busy Bee Throw from Knit Picks' The Well Made Home pattern collection. I'm using the City Tweed DK in a variety of colors. It's very portable. I can keep the hook and a ball of yarn in my purse, and I have a couple of hours of fun if I need it.


I got a little more done on my Spring Flowers quilt. Here's an old photo of it just to refresh your memory.


And a few more inches on the Multi Scrap Scarf.

Now that it's warm enough, the pups have been swimming.


It's finally warm here in the mountains of Utah—just in time for us to go on vacation.


What's on my needles: The Coral Reef Shawl and the Fair Isle Flower Socks.

What's in my hoop: Hand-quilting my Spring Flowers quilt.

What's on my wheel: Still Full Circle spinning fiber in "Pigeon." No progress there.

What's on my loom: Still the Multi Scrap scarf, 36".

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Just finished listening to The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen from the library using the Overdrive app. It was an interesting mixture of strange and everyday. Definitely worth a read. Now I'm listening to Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger, also from the library on the Overdrive app. Finished reading Death by Cashmere in iBooks and haven't picked a new eBook yet. Also Ann Budd's Sock Knitting Master Class on Kindle.

What's in my wine glass: Frontera Concha Y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot, the big bottle. Nice!

What's my tip of the week: Need a bobbin winder for weaving? A power drill holding a regular wooden pencil works great. My plastic bobbins fit snugly on the pencil, so when I turn on the drill, I can wind the bobbin easily. The wooden bobbins also fit, but not as easily. A dowel can be used in place of a pencil; see what fits your bobbins.

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment