Monday, May 25, 2015

Heddles and Puddles

Well, I'm finally, finally, back to weaving. On Tuesday I rethreaded the heddles on my floor loom, using the warp that was already on the loom left over from a previous project.


I had to change the tie-up, too, to weave what I wanted, but it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm using various scraps of yarn and some hand-spun that wasn't up to knitting standards to make a scarf using a 2X2 twill. I had a yarn that was basically a skinny thread with periodic ribbons, which I'm adding in from time to time for some interest. (I can't imagine knitting with the stuff!)

The weaving goes fast, and I prefer to do it when DGD1 isn't watching TV in my fiber studio, and she's off work right now, so I got some knitting done this week as well. Ta-da! The Diagonal Cross-Rib Socks for DH are finished.


I also made some progress on the Kai-Mei socks.

When you work on more than one project at a time, sometimes several things get finished all in the same week. It's really fun to see stuff come together.

Common Threads met at my house on Thursday. I was able to clean quickly after the spring cleaning I did before our company arrived a couple of weeks ago. Almost everyone was knitting.

Thursday evening was the Park City Quilt Guild meeting at Davidene's. We had a demonstration of a method for making small circles for appliqué. Of course, we also had a nice show-and-tell.

This quilt was made by members of Silver Queen Quilters (the previous local quilt guild, now defunct) to commemorate the 2002 Winter Olympics. There are paper-pieced houses that are representative of the houses in Old Town. The children in snow suits appliquéd around the outside border represent all the different countries that participated. (I made some of the children in snow suits.) Of course, our beautiful mountains are depicted. Carol, a fellow member of the Silver Queen Quilt Guild at the time, has had custody of it since it was last displayed. She's trying to find a new site for it. Davidene has offered to display it until a more public location is found.



Among other show-and-tell was this appliqué quilt top, ready to go to the quilter. I especially love the acorn house.



This quilt looks as if it could have been made a couple of centuries ago, except that it's in such great condition.



Jill had some circles left over from a previous quilt, so she made this. (She still has some circles.)



Jill and her sister, Lynn, made this quilt together. The seam allowances were...interesting. That's the hardest part about making a quilt together with other people. They managed to overcome the problem, though, and the result was great!


We have been getting a lot of rain lately, so it has been difficult to get the pups out for a walk or a hike, but we've managed, thanks to our weather apps. Saturday, for instance, we saw it was mostly likely not going to be raining until at least 3:00 PM, so we did a walk around the block before that. Sunny is usually off-leash on our street, because cars are sparse and she comes reliably to the side when I tell her. She has had a muscle strain caused by an awkward exit from the tub after her bath, but she has recovered well and was feeling well enough to chase a running Vizsla. This dog is as fast as a greyhound, so I was impressed. (I wonder what she planned to do with him if she caught him.) I've never seen her move so fast. Rocky and I were headed in the opposite direction, though, so she turned around and ran back to Rocky and me when I called her.

Here's some cuteness for this week:


I can't believe these beautiful creatures are my grandchildren! It's so nice to see them enjoying the out-of-doors at the park. At least it isn't rain, rain, rain, where they live.


What's on my needles: The Kai-Mei socks, working down the foot of the second sock. Still planning to CO the "March of the Fibres" cardi when I get a chance. Also planning to CO the Snow Crystals Socks.

What's on my Featherweight: Ready to start next month's blocks from First Ladies.

What's on my wheel: Still Full Circle spinning fiber in "Pigeon." No progress there.

What's on my loom: The Multi Scrap scarf.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished Madensky Square by Eva Ibbotson from Audible. Then listened to Our Lady of Pain, a mystery by M. C. Beaton using the nom de plume of Marion Chesney. Now listening to The Back Road by Rachel Abbott, also from Audible. Reading Death by Cashmere by Sally Goldenbaum in iBooks. 

What's in my wine glass: Frontera Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot by Concha y Toro of Chile, 2013.
What's my tip of the week: If you're making socks with a pattern section that has rounds where the number of stitches in the pattern decrease or increase, when you count your stitches to see where you are, you can start by using the base number of stitches in the pattern section and then count all the other stitches. This is most common in lace patterns. For instance, the Kai-Mei socks have a lace panel. The number of stitches starts and ends up as 15, but the stitch count varies. I start with 15 sts., then count all the other stitches in the round to find out how many stitches I have.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment