Monday, February 16, 2015

Spring Already?

I've made progress on the Brick Cardigan this week:



However, I have also been trying to get some quilting in before the Spin-in scheduled for the end of this month.

First, I'm working on a paper-pieced Pine Burr quilt. This is the quilt I've had planned for some time and led me to use paper-piecing on my Delectable Pathways quilt, even though I could have pieced it conventionally with no difficulty for practice. Here's my first Pine Burr block. (The fabric above the block is the inspiration for the colors in the quilt and will make up the border, as well as appear in some of the blocks.) The pattern is the Pine Burr quilt from McCall's Quilting magazine, May/June 2012.



On top of that, my local quilt shop (doesn't that sound wonderful?), Davidene's, is teaching a class based on Tales of First Ladies by Eleanor Burns. We had the first class on Wednesday. The next one is in a month.

The first block from Tales of First Ladies (we make two of each block) is called "White House Ladies." Davidene's had an optional pack of Civil War report fat quarters for the project at a great price.


And I've made progress on the first appliqué block, "Martha Washington's Wreath."

Vintage Stitchers met this week at Barbara's, because she can't drive yet after knee surgery. She's doing well, though, as is Rebecca, who is a few days further along in the same process. Barbara showed us her finished poinsettia appliqué quilt top:



Janet showed us her 1600 quilt top:



Janet also brought another quilt. Both of these are from mostly Robyn Pandolph fabrics. This one has with Minky on the back.



Marilyn held up her "Circle of Hope" quilt. The pattern is by Susan Meyer from Quilting Discoveries.




It was my turn next. I showed them my finished "Seeing Stars" quilt top, which Julie will quilt for me when she has my "Crystal Stars" quilt finished. (I'm not in a hurry, although I am anticipating.) I also showed them my Pine Burr block and the two First Ladies blocks I had finished.

Carol was next with a BOM quilt:



Here's the back of Carol's BOM (block of the month) quilt, showing the quilting. The quilter used a darker thread on the back in the sashing for an interesting effect.



Diane also had the same BOM quilt, but in different fabrics:



Brenda showed us her Chinese Coin quilt top.



Barbara has finished a Batik Reflections quilt top. I have seen this quilt online, but the batiks she chose make this one exceptional.



Now Barbara is working on a Dresden Plate quilt. She has 12 blocks prepared and two done.



Rebecca is doing the same block on a black background. She is using black in the enter as well.


We've had no winter to speak of. I guess God gave our snow and cold weather to the northeast. It's supposed to snow today, but it was so warm Saturday that we went on a hike, trying out a new trail we hadn't been on before. It was muddy, so we turned back and went to Gorgoza Pond, where we could use the bicycle trail. We've been going to Silver Sneakers, and DGD1 has been going to exercise classes as well, but it's nice to get outdoors with the pups. I saw a grey squirrel in Sunday. They hibernate in the winter, so...I guess winter is officially over.

What's on my needles: Brick Cardigan, working on the yoke. Also the Martha Washington's Wreath appliqué block for my First Ladies quilt.

What's on my Featherweight: Pine Burr.

What's on my loom: Still some warp for another scarf, but still folded up.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer, one of my favorite authors. Very funny. Now listing to Threading the Needle by Marie Bostwick, also from Audible. Also reading Charlotte Collins by Jennifer Becton on the Nook app.

What's in my wine glass: Apothic Red, 2012. My absolute all-time favorite wine. http://www.apothic.com

What's my tip of the week: If you want to give pea soup that smokey taste you get from a ham bone...without the ham bone...throw in a dried chipotle chile. You can keep it vegetarian.


Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment