Monday, October 20, 2014

Ready for Halloween

Common Threads met at Ginny's. Julie is almost done with her Girl Fox from Little Cotton Rabbits:

She has also finished the head of the elephant.

I started my first project from this designer (the Girl Bunny) on Friday. The feet/shoes were challenging, but I've made good progress:


Our local quilt guild met Thursday night. Here's a top for a little girl:


And a quilt based on a video game:


This is Halloween penny rug table runner:


And so is this:

Halloween is the predominant theme:


And this, which is the same pattern as my friend Barbara's quilt from last week's blog. It's interesting to see how personal changes influence how the finished quilt looks:


This table runner is available as a kit/class:


Next month we're going to learn about Hawaiian quilts and how to make a block like this:


Soren took his I-spy quilt to school to share:


It's time for some baby cuteness, so here's Johan wearing his own BSJ, the one made just for him:


I've made progress on the Spring Flowers quilt, but it doesn't look much different from last week.

We had some excitement last night. Upon returning home after a fantastic presentation of Madame Butterfly in Salt Lake City, with Yunah Lee in the title role and Eric Fennell as Pinkerton, we discovered two (TWO!) CO alarms beeping. Beeping as in the batteries were dead, but after changing the batteries, they still beeped. We opened the windows, put the pups in the car (it was hard to get them in from the backyard, whither they had fled as soon as we got home, happy to escape the horrible beeping) and ran out to Walmart for some new alarms to test whether both of the CO alarms had died simultaneously. DH got some new batteries, too, in case our spare batteries were just bad. Upon returning home, the pups and I sat in the car while His Nibs braved the air (and potential further beeps) in the house and tried new batteries in the old alarms. They still beeped, so he tried the first of the two new detectors. It tested OK and didn't beep, so he took it to the areas of the house where the old detectors had been. Still no beeps, so he cranked up the other one. Also no beep. It appears that the CO detectors we installed in 2006 (manufactured in 2006 and 2007) both died within hours of each other...or maybe simultaneously, only the pups know for sure, and they aren't talking. I'm not sure I really want to know what they would have to say about what they endured while we were enjoying the opera.

What's on my needles: The Girl Bunny and Mr. F.'s clothes. I still have the Johan socks to work on. My quilting needles are still working on the hand-quilting of my Spring Flowers quilt.

What's on my Featherweight: The backing for the Crystal Stars quilt is done, and the quilt is ready to pass off to the quilter when she finishes the Reflections quilt.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Listening to Victoria Holt's The Shadow of the Lynx. Creepy! Finished reading Joseph Lallo's The Book of Deacon from Book Bub and now reading Cheryl Bradshaw's I Have a Secret, also from Book Bub.

What's my app of the week: Voice Memos. When I took Joanie to the doctor, I recorded the interview. It came in handy later, when her daughter wanted to know which medication the doctor wanted to discontinue. I just emailed the recording to her.

What's in my wine glass: The Little Penguin Shiraz 2013. Nothing like letting it age. Very nice!

What's my tip of the week: Be ready to change the batteries in your smoke and CO alarms when you move your clock back on November 1. Seriously. Do this!

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment