Monday, September 8, 2014

Nesting for Winter

Why is my yarn stash in guest room?


This isn't even all of it. Not all of the yarn is in view. I would need a wide-angle lens to get it all in.
Back to the question: A few months ago we discovered we had moths, originating in our Navajo rugs in the storeroom. While I was sad about the rug damage, I was frantic about my stash. I began freezing it in batches in our deep freeze. As each batch came out of the freezer, I would throw it onto the guest bed. I'd been planning to reorganize my fiber studio, so this seemed like a good time.
Here's my stash of Knit Picks Palette, before organizing by color and putting it all away in a cabinet:
I just dumped it all on my cutting mat. Here are the upper cabinets organized. The quilting fabrics are on the left. Yarn for specific projects is on the right. Sock yarn (which doesn't count as stash) is on the top shelf of each of the cabinets on the right. A friend pointed out that I could store yarn in that suitcase on the top right, but I had to explain that the suitcase holds my thank-you notes for all the people who give me...ahem...yarn, spinning fiber and quilting fabric. (Hint, hint! Wink, wink!)

The tidied-up fiber studio still has a lived-in look:


And another view:

My cutting area is ready to be used again, now that the pile of Palette has been put away.

The cabinet was an old bathroom cabinet, rescued after a replacement was installed. It's also useable as a light table. We had a glass company cut a piece of 3/4" plexiglas to the right size and frost one side. DH took the "decorative" fronts off the part that used to house a sink and put a shelf in to hold two under-counter lights, shining up under the plexiglas. I used this light table a lot when I was working on my Delectable Pathways quilt.


The design wall hides a closet fitted with shelves for storage. For the design wall, I took a queen-size Warm and Natural quilt batt and sewed battens onto the top and bottom. the ends of the top batten slip onto a couple of hooks on each side of the closet.


I can place single blocks on the surface, and they will stick to it. As long as there isn't a breeze, they will stay put. Larger sections of quilt top need to be pinned, though. I can roll it up and store it, with or without my project. The curtains underneath are the same as those in the window. On the design wall are the house blocks fellow quilters made for a quilt for Habitat for Humanity. It's going to be auctioned off next month. I got the last two blocks yesterday (not shown). The fabric on the right is what I expect to use as sashing.

I'm now ready to tackle the weaving/spinning area. The corner with the little Jøtul gas stove doesn't look too bad.


However, the rest of that part of the room leaves much to be desired. I plan to replace the futon-type sofa bed with the nice sofa-bed couch I bought at IKEA on Saturday. It will be delivered next Saturday. If we have good luck assembling it, I can post a photo next week.
You can see my antique quilting frame between the couch and the chest of drawers. The drawers to the old entertainment center are sitting on the bench in front of the sliding door. The main section is outside, covered with a tarp. We have to get rid of that huge piece of furniture. The kumihimo "loom" (covered with a white bag)is going to the weavers' guild. A friend asked me to find a home for it, and I thought the guild would like to have it. I'll post photos of the finished area when it happens.

I did get some projects worked on this week. The big ta-da of the week was my finished Delectable Pathways (aka "Peggy's Sistine Chapel," so named because of how long it has taken) quilt top. I'm going to hand quilt it, and my friend Julie, the professional machine quilter, has it now to baste for me.


Joanie and I were only at Common Threads for a little while on Thursday, because I drove her to her doctor's appointment in Salt Lake City. (Her other friends and I take turns driving her places.) We did stop in and have some coffee and something to eat at Georgette's before I took her home. I didn't get any photos, though. Now that Joanie doesn't drive anymore, she likes to have friends come and knit with her on Friday, so I got some work done on my Johan socks. I'm ready to start the gusset:


The big family news for this week was the special viewing of "The Boxtrolls" for Laika employees and families, which includes DS2, his wife and the two boys. Our son does special effects for Laika films. Everyone needs to go see this movie and give me a full report!
Johan greeted the new adventure (his first 3D movie) with his usual exuberant enthusiasm.
What's on my needles: Some progress on the Johan Socks socks. Some progress also on "the elusive Mr. F." (from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin) One leg to go.

What's on my iPad/iPhone: Finished The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness, from Audible. Outstanding read! Now listening to A Thread So Thin by Marie Bostwick. Still reading Joseph Lallo's The Book of Deacon from Book Bub.

What's my app of the week: Goodreads. I can find out about a book I'm thinking about reading or listening to before I buy or check out from the library.

What's in my wine glass: Trader Joe's Coastal Syrah 2012. "Moderate tannins and lingering oaks." Yep, that describes it!

What's my tip of the week: Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold potatoes can be microwaved (according to your microwave's instructions) and cooled. Then the skins are easy to peel off with your fingers. You can cool them off under cold water if you're in a hurry. The pups love the peels!

Note: This blog post was produced on the iPad and the MacBook, using the iPhone for some photos and some photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for, cleaned or broken. No animals were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment