Monday, April 22, 2013

High Fiber—Signs of Spring?!


Knit Picks had a sale I couldn't pass up! I've been spinning their Full Circle Spinning Roving for some time. I've started on the second bobbin (out of two) of "Fawn."
My plan is to weave a blanket out of all the different colors, but mostly "Caramel" and "Fawn." It will include quite a bit of "Wolf" and "Pigeon" with a little less of the "Quarry" and "Espresso." (I have images of a wolf sitting in a quarry, eating caramels and drinking espresso, and I'm hoping he isn't also feeding on fawn and pigeon!) 
Since I was almost finished with the Evil Stepmother shawl, I decided to get some cotton yarn for placemats, and picked up the Dish Towels Kit in "Ocean." (I can't provide a link to it, because it isn't on the website right now, but it's in the April catalog, p. 11, and the item number is 41183. The "Soft" colorway is out of stock. You can see it in the Dish Towel Pattern, however, and am using the yarn to make the placemats. The five skeins of Dishie were cheaper in the kit, and I still have the pattern to use later if I want.)
The sale is on until May 1st, but the "Evil Stepmother" shawl is done and blocked, leaving the loom bare. (Can't have that! It's in the living room!) So I had to order right away!
I warped for the placemats on Saturday:
The colors of Dishie included in the "Ocean" colorway are: "Blue," "Azure," "Jalapeño," "Kenai" and "Swan." The pattern is for four towels, each of a different color with white bands. I'm using all the colors together. The photo shows the warp between the beater bar and the heddles. Pretty easy warping, even with the complicated pattern. I prepared a different warp chain for each section.
I should be able to order more Dishie in different colors for more placemats, if I like how the project goes. I should have enough of the white ("Swan") for another set, so I'll save some money that way.
Even though spring is "here" technically, we're still getting snow. However, Lynda and I are making plans for my llama fleece, a job that will have to be done outdoors after it warms up:
I have the fleece of three llamas, two huge lawn trash bags full, so too much for just myself. Lynda is going to help me clean it, and I'm going to split it with her.
She was at my house for Common Threads on Thursday. Sunny and Rocky like Lynda's lap. She can't even work on her Dogwood Blossoms sweater:
She brought her neighbor Lone with her. Lone is becoming a regular member of the group. Here's what she's working on:
Georgette's needlepoint is done. It's a present for a friend:
Julie finished another wedding quilt:
Here's the label:
Lone and Lynda made some birdhouses for their yards:


Not only did I finish the "Evil Stepmother" shawl, but I also finished the chemo hat:
It will be on its way today.

In the meantime, we had snow almost every day last week. Yesterday was the first day in a while we didn't wake up to snow coming down. How long can it keep up? Stay tuned.

What's on my needles: Daphne's Bunny Suit, front about half done, and Dogwood Blossoms. Ready to CO for Christmas Waffle Sweater, Part Deux, as soon as I finish the Bunny Suit.
What's on my loom: "Ocean Placemats."
What's on my iPad: Listening to another Audible audiobook, Katherine's Marriage by D. E. Stevenson, and various podcasts, including Seyne Mitchell's Weavecast and Benjamin Levisay's Fiber Hooligan podcast, new episode available today.
What's on my wheel: Full Circle Roving in "Fawn," second bobbin.
What's on my Featherweight: Delectable Pathways, some progress this week, and more of the hand work done on the binding of the charity quilt.
What's in my wine glass: Twisted's Zinfandel.

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook, using the iPad for photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment