Monday, March 18, 2013

High Fiber—So Many Projects, So Little Time!


In spite of my injuries, I made it to Vintage Stitchers this week.

Julie picked me up. She brought several quilts she had finished for members of the group. This hibiscus quilt was a kit Ellen bought in Hawaii. It's all batiks. Julie did a great job quilting it!

Julie also finished quilting this French Braid Quilt for Ellen. She stitched in the ditch around the braid segments and open areas have star shapes in them.

Some not-very-exciting fabrics really came alive for Janet in this charity quilt. I wonder if she'll be able to give it away. It was clever of her to use black for the background! Julie did the quilting on this quilt, too.



In weaving news, I finished the second scarf. I used my rotary cutter to trim the fringe at 4".


If you're wondering why part of my rotary cutter looks melted, it got got too close to my craft iron, a relationship doomed to failure! Fortunately, it still works.

Here are the two scarves together:


They look more like autumn than spring, but we still have a lot of snow on the ground, so the warm colors are refreshing. I used Knit Picks Chroma in "New England" (no longer available) as my inspiration for the colors, sort of like a focus fabric in quilting. I had some leftover Knit Picks sock yarn (Essential and Stroll) in the same green (except solid) as is found in the Chroma and in a kettle-dyed gold and a tonal yellow that played nicely with the Chroma. To warp my loom, I used the Essential and Stroll yarns and another sock yarn with the exact same green left over from previous projects. I used up all the Chroma in the two scarves, and most of the gold. I still have quite a bit of the green and yellow tonal. It was so much fun to see how the colors changed as I was weaving, and then I would change the colors according to whim as well, mixing in the greens and yellows. 

After the second scarf was off the loom, there was still some warp left, so I continued to play at weaving. 

I'm not sure what this will be. Maybe a small table runner. It isn't long enough for a scarf.

You may have read about my little accident last week. I'm walking much better now. I had a bruise the size of Texas, placed just so the incision for my hip replacement 15 years ago divided it exactly in half. The first couple of days I slept a lot and read weaving, quilting and knitting magazines and books, only getting up and "walking" when I had to. Then as I felt better, I started weaving. Moving my left foot up and down on the treadle of my loom was good exercise for my left leg. Thursday I was able to get around well enough to go to Vintage Stitchers (with the ride from Julie), and Friday I managed the stairs and did some laundry. by Saturday, I was starting to feel better as the day went on instead of worse. I'm not yet back to normal, but getting close. I never needed the pain pills nor the muscle relaxant. I'm so grateful that nothing worse happened when I fell!

This week also saw some progress on DH's Christmas Waffle Cardigan:


Benjamin Levisay's (the Fiber Hooligan) first podcast with the interview with Debbie Macomber was great! Don't miss this week's interview with Rick Mondragon. You can listen/subscribe after 10:00 Central Daylight Time today (Monday).

In closing, I thought you would all enjoy seeing Miss Daphne getting the most out of the last of the Wisconsin snow:


What's on my needles: Christmas Waffle Cardigan, some progress made this week, and Dogwood Blossoms.
What's on my loom: Just playing with what's left of the warp. Maybe it will be a table runner or....
What's on my Featherweight: Still the Delectable Pathways blocks, amost done with the blocks. Still have most of the appliqué to do, but that's by hand.
What's on my wheel: Plying the "Pigeon." (Boy, does that sound funny!) I'm planning to spin another Full Circle Roving. But which color? Hmmm....
What's on my iPad: Still listening to the Weavecast podcast, catching up. There don't seem to be any new ones, so I'm not in a rush to hear them all. Finished The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jaimie Ford from Audible.com. Great listen!
Now I'm listening to His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik. For something completely different.
What's in my wine glass: Concha y Toro Frontera Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot blend from Chile, vintage 2011. Yum! My wine steward really knows how to pick 'em!

Note: This blog post was produced entirely on the MacBook, using the iPad for photo processing. No other computer was used in any stage of composition or posting, and no Windows were opened, waited for or cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment